Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the "factory" Subaru hitch any different than the Drawtite/Hidden Hitch/Reece hitches?

I think the load rating is lower (200lb tongue weight/2000lb towing) on the factory hitch but they may be made by Drawtite (300 lb tongue weight/3500 lb towing) or one of the big manufacturers.

Does anyone know? I'll shell out more $$ for it if there is a difference. The only difference I see right now is in load rating but that doesn't matter too much since I will never pull more than 1,000 lbs in total or put more than three bikes on a hitch rack.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I'm using a curt and have been pretty satisfied so far

I also had to pay the 40 or 50 bucks for the wire harness..

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Curt hitches are also a bit more expensive than the Drawtite's at around $170, I believe. Did you buy it online? Does it extend beyond the bumper or it it recessed?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I recieved the curt hitch as a Christmas present, the hitches are made no more than 4 miles away from my house

I know alot of member's here are satisfied with their hidden hitch

I'm pretty sure that my father bought the hitch locally

Nothing extends past the bumper (well without the ball that is)

I should add that I had to make some small cuts/modificatoins to the hitch for it to fit

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I was going ask this question. need to tow the bike, ATV, snowmoble, and boat........

Someday. :(

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Drawtite's is $116 at Etrailer and a bit cheaper on Ebay. That's why I was asking if there was any difference. Probably not unless the finish is slightly different. It is odd that the Subaru hitch has such significantly lower load and tow weight ratings- almost makes me want to stay away unless they did that for liability reasons. I can understand the lower towing capacity but the lower tongue weight capacity bothers me (200 Vs. 300).

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
So have you given up on the 2" reciever? I'm still pretty certain that the hitch that Adamsm showed in this thread is a 2". I sent a PM to him, still waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have almost given up. Nobody I have found makes one- not Curt, Valley, Hidden Hitch, Drawtite, or Reece. Nobody here will weld one either :frown:

The tray-style racks like the T2/Hookup/Cycleon are (IMO too heavy for a 1.25 hitch receiver) and do sag over time. The roof ones are nice but I would almost rather remove everything- cross bars and rails and start over with a Thule or Yakima system. I think those rails are screwed/bolted on to the roof though.

A complete system with new feet placed on the roof itself is much more secure and can carry much more weight. Attaching the feet to the factory base is not as secure since the feet can only grab and tighten due to the odd nature of the Forester rails- no gap underneath.

With each of our bikes costing $3k-$4K, I need the best system I can get.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Flyer said:
Nobody here will weld one either :frown:
Wow, you can't find a decent metal fabrication/welding shop in the heartland? They are all over the place out here. And since I used to live in Michigan, I know there are tons of shops there too.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Since we've got a 2 inch trailer hitch bike rack made by yakima, instead of trying to buy a 2 inch reciever for the forester, I purchased a curt 2 inch adapter for ~30

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
I picked up a new Hidden Hitch off E-Bay for $111 plus $28 shipping. Should have it at the house and installed Saturday.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't use an adapter or rather an extension. My garage is too short and the Thule Expressway's base, for example, sticks out pretty far behind the car.

I also hear that 1.25 hitch bike racks tend to sag over time while the 2" ones do not, especially the tray style ones that I really want. Those are the Saris Cycleon, Yakima Hookup, and the Thule T2. I believe it is the skinnier bar on the rack itself that tends to sag over time. My friends has a Softride on her car and it's significantly "saggier" than when we put it on for her. Same issue with a friened who has the Sportworks Transport- both racks are on 1.25 receivers.

The 2" would solve all those problems- plus I could use my current 2" Thule Expressway while I wait for the best tray-style rack.

I called some hitch places but not any metal fabrication shops. I guess I will look in the yellow pages but Peaty is checking on something for me regarding that.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
4 Posts
I installed a Subaru factory hitch w/ wire harness, $196.92 w/ shipping from Redirecting..., no problems, and mated it with a Yakima Double Down 4, no problems with Yakima's pin or hitch lock. I really like that the factory hitch has the tow hook and tie down.

·
Registered
2010 forester X SE manual
12 Posts
new forester hitch

Ordered a 2" hitch for my 2010 forester from etrailer the other day after seeing them recommended here. First off they gave free shipping (good) then i got an email saying they upgraded my shipping for free (awesome). Got the hitch today and everything looks good, will be installing tomorrow if the weather improves.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium Auto/CVT
7 Posts
subiesubiedoo i just ordered my Curt 2" from etrailer and they did the same thing to me. (free shipping and upgraded to 3-5 day over 5-7 day shipping) When i put it on i had to drop the exhaust a good bit to get the receiver in to bolt it up. ill be pulling soon and should have video and pics.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Premium 4EAT
39 Posts
I'm ordering a 2" Curt today, while they are on sale. :0)

Edit: saved $10 going through Amazon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts