Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my '01 a few months back and had to get the emissions tested. I passed on everything except the CEL wouldn't turn on when the car was first starting. So, I was able to pass the test and register the Forester under the condition that I get the CEL in working order within 90 days and have it retested.

I took the car to my friends house to work on the problem and quickly found that there was no CEL bulb. So we put in a new one and it immediately started to blink, never turning off. We pulled and cleared the codes, ten of them, only to have the CEL blink immediately after. All ten codes were electrical related, mostly having to do with relays.

The Forester has (had) an aftermarket alarm that was horrible, a stiff breeze would set it off. We checked out the alarm wiring and it was shameful. Thinking the alarm was the problem we decided to remove it. We pulled all the wiring for the alarm; my wife cheered, it was the only thing she didn't like about the Forester. We then pulled and cleared the codes again. All ten showed up immediately again.

I buttoned up the Forester and headed home defeated. I sat at the computer and decided to research the issue a little with google. I found this site:

(edit, I'm not allowed to post the URL, if someone with more than 15 posts could, it'd be appreciated. Its in subaruforester's forums, under "interior and electronics", it's a sticky titled: why is this green plug not connected?)

I remembered seeing those connectors while removing the wiring, they were already connected (by the folks who put together the alarm, I can only guess). I went out to the car with a flashlight, checked and saw that they were connected, disconnected them....no codes! CEL is off! Thank you all for the great forum, I saw $800 electrical bills in my future.

That sad part about this is that I'm sure the dealer I purchased the Forester at had to know about this. They told me that all cars are checked in house by their mechanic. I know they had to know about this. The good news is that I paid $3900 for my '01 Forester S w/ leather and 100k miles in good condition. Regardless, I got a good deal. Still seems like a shady company to me though.

Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Great to hear you got it fixed.. Welcome to the forum.
Are you in the navy stationed in Groton ?

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
I purchased my '01 a few months back and had to get the emissions tested. I passed on everything except the CEL wouldn't turn on when the car was first starting.
Well, thanks to you for posting that. I never really thought about it before, how the CEL should come on no matter what when starting up the car, so we'll keep that in mind next time we look at a used car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts