Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have noticed a few things after tinkering around with my subaru, some of the parts are from a giant asian parts bin... My security system and lock *beep* sound EXACTLY like my dads toyota, my window switches are nissan... What exactly are all the shared parts? Anyone else done an investigation?

·
Registered
09 Forester Touring
179 Posts
Damned good question.
Too often I hear my car alarm after I close my door, and it's someone elses car.

Don't think there will be too many answers.

There'll all Japanese, must use the same distributors, manufacturers.

Probably a lot like computer parts, one fits all (in a matter of speaking).

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
I forget the exact reason but subaru has a special relationship with Nissan, and therefore share certain parts with Nissan.

I spoke to a guy @ Toyota USA, and he says that Toyotas share a lot of manufacturers with GM in the USA, and that created some problems in the past.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Don't know about the newer models, but SF gen Foresters shared some switches and outside mirrors with Nissan.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
There are certain components that are shared between manufacturers like that.
For example, my Nissan has various Mitsubishi components in the engine bay. My Forester now uses the same brake pads as my Nissan.

I remember seeing a few electrical components with the same info stamped on them between my Subaru and Nissan.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
LOL, one of my belts says "MITSUBOSHI"
mitsuboshi not to be confused with mitsubishi

mitsuboshi = three stars
mitsubishi = three diamonds

IIRC, Mitusbishi Turbochargers are made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which is not directly related to Mitsubishi Auto. It's kinda like how at one point in time, all the Baby Bells were broken up from MaBell, pacbell, southwest bell, etc. They have similar names, but are unique companies.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
How the former Japanese businesses operated was that every company would buy shares of stock in every company so that there would be no outsider that could buy out a certain Japanese company. I forgot the what the Japanese term for this was called but it is basically a group of Japanese businesses that buy small shares of each others stocks. It pretty much secured their safety for foreign buyers.
Sorry for my skecthy history lesson but I'm trying to get to the point as quickly as I can. As for Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) and Nissan, they were once a joint company before the war began (including a few others). They were separated in the kind of the same instance as BMW was for their ties to building military equipment. Anyhow, for the longest time, Nissan had a small share in Subaru since the break up and mainly used all the same electricals as Nissan for a long time. It wasn't until Renault helped Nissan get out of debt (around 2001) and help break up these shared stock groups that they sold the Subaru stocks to GM. Now that Toyota owns quite a bit of of Subaru, I wouldn't be surprised that they are still using some of Nissan suppliers and now accomidating some from the new owners Toyota.

BTW, the Subaru badge was designed with the stars representing each joint company of Nissan and FHI. The designer was hoping one day they would unite and be one star.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
971 Posts
I forgot the what the Japanese term for this was called but it is basically a group of Japanese businesses that buy small shares of each others stocks.

As for Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) and Nissan, they were once a joint company before the war began (including a few others).

Anyhow, for the longest time, Nissan had a small share in Subaru since the break up and mainly used all the same electricals as Nissan for a long time.

BTW, the Subaru badge was designed with the stars representing each joint company of Nissan and FHI. The designer was hoping one day they would unite and be one star.
The term you're thinking of is keiretsu.
Nissan did not appear to be part of the same zaibatsu as FHI, but I could be wrong.

Actually, the subaru badge was designed representing each of the companies in the FHI family, no relationship to Nissan. The Big star represents FHI, "protecting" the 5 other smaller companies (the former Nakajima Aircraft company) which it merged with.

The smaller stars are:
Tokyo Fuji Industries
Fuji Industries
Fuji Automobile Industries
Omiya Fuji Industries
Utusnomiya Vehicles

Fuji Precision industries which was part of the Nakajima Aircraft company was absorbed by Nissan, so that is your nissan connection

for more info (in japanese) アンパサンド - Wikipedia
アンパサンド - Wikipedia

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, my history is a bit skecthy, it's been quite a few years since I've read up on this.

From what I remember, I'm pretty sure Nissan was involved from the start but I could be wrong.

Edit: I forgot to clarify that Subaru and Nissan are two separate entities and that they did not share any engineering or design ideas with each other. When I meant they used mainly the same electricals, I meant things like light bulb plug connectors, harness connectors and the lot are the same(or same vendor design). Kind of like taking a light switch from one house and putting it on another and having it fit. However, to my knowledge all I know is that many of the electrical components that were shared between Nissan and Subaru was prior to 2001. Anything newer than 2001 is just an assumption.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts