Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. For starters I've been telling the dealership for months my fuel consumption is terrible and I think something is wrong with my car. They kept saying they couldn't find anything wrong. End of August the break light switch had to be replaced as well. Also, since summer I noticed a funny noise in my exhaust that was intermitten. When I finally was able to get it to do it to where the dealer could listen, they said it was something inside and wanted $400 something to replace the exhaust. I took it to the mechanic my husband just had his exhaust done at and they said they could not find the issue and that the car would pass inspection. They just didn't see what the dealer thought was wrong. Car was running fine so I just let it go. I don't know if this is all related to what is going on now so wanted to add all this first. It's been really cold here the past few weeks and I noticed my car wasn't starting right. I had to have back breaks put on Thu and the mechanci mentioned it could be the battery if he had to guess but could be the cold causing it. Well my car wouldn't start today at all. Got a friend to come jump it and then when he did get it running, my ABS system lights like when the break light switch went bad, were on, the oil temp light was flashing and the check engine light came on. Took it to Advanced Auto and had the battery tested, it was bad. Also had it on the computer and it revealed the P0966 and P0700 codes indicating something is wrong with my transmission. My car is just under 56,000 miles. This is ridiculous. Makes me scared because I have two friends with Subaru's and have had nothing but trouble. The one had her engine go at 50,000 miles something on a 2011 Forester and the other has one a little older also had to have the engine rebuilt and it continues to quit working on her. She said before that went the starter had to be replaced. I'm calling the dealership Monday morning but I work 11 to 3 and can't take it in until after I get my kids from school. Is this a common issue? How serious and expensive is it? Is this a sign, well all the above, my car is going to start nickel and diming me? I can't deal with that I have a ton of things wrong with my house as it is. I'm hoping it will start tomorrow and that the alternator is okay. I just find it strange all those lights came on after the battery was jumped. I never knew about the P codes until after this happened but my fuel consumption has sucked for awhile. 18 MPG average right now. I got that on my old Bonneville and it was a 6 cylinder. I know what the codes mean btw. I'm starting to think maybe I should trade the car in and get something else. I can't afford to do repairs all the time.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AT
23 Posts
@spytfyre13 My Forester had a 'funny noise' (rattles, whistles) from sections of the exhaust paired with absolutely terrible gas mileage and I had it diagnosed as a failing rear cat. converter by Subaru mechanics. Keep in mind the converter (at least in my case) does not throw a code but if it is making noise and you're noticing terrible fuel economy it could very well be the culprit. It can also lead to other problems with high oil pressure because of how its connected to the engine in ways I can't explain. My converter does not/hardly ever smells like eggs either. The terrible fuel economy drives me insane. The cold weather probably makes it even worse too I am guessing.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
834 Posts
Sorry to hear all these problems! Aren't parts of the emissions control system covered by an extended warranty period?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts