Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog decided to chew through my rear center seat belt today. I need to replace the section from the roof to the center buckle. Any suggestions on how to remove this section? I didn't see an easy way to remove the plastic piece on the roof to get to the actual unit. Do I need to remove the entire roof section? Pretty urgent because we use it for child seat. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
61 Posts
im pretty positive that you will have to drop the headliner,
you should be aboe to get around removing the while headliner though, just going to have to take out the interior pieces around the rear windows and the little piece that goes around the upper part of the hatch area.
then you should be able to pull the headliner down to access everything you need.
once you see it, you'll know what needs to be done to get it out.

its not really a pain in the donkey type thing, just time consuming.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Manual
3 Posts
I did this on my 04 Forester today. Dog chewed as well. You only need access to the corner of the headliner.

For reference, to access the retractor:
- Remove passenger rear strut cover. Pry up starting from rear.
- Remove passenger rear seatbelt anchor cover. Pry it off
- Remove passenger rear seatbelt anchor (bolt)
- Remove rear trim along cargo door top-- pry off from inside side.
- Remove right rear quarter panel. Three screws and then yank.
- Then, finally, you can pull down only the right rear of the headliner.
- And then you can break the little plastic cover on the headliner hole. Oops. Grey tape!

To access the anchors:
- Remove the rear seat cushion, secured by two bolts and an center hook.
- Seat cushion is 12mm bolts and the anchors are 14mm.

The rear passenger seat belt gets totally unbolted in the process, so if that's at all damaged by the same dog, you might want to go ahead and do that, too.

And, as you have dogs, have a vacuum handy to remove the craptons of dog hair under the rear seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts