Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Package 15
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Looking to compile information on the Forester e-Boxer which is available in Europe. There's a few videos around YouTube but not much on the specifics, just people that took a little test drive in Latvia, it seems. The subaru.uk seems to have limited specifications also, just mostly about why hybrids are good.

It appears that it has no spare tire and is expected to get around 35 mpg combined, which is nice considering the vehicle is a mild hybrid and a decent size SUV. The e-Boxer also has a 2.0L engine that's mated to the electric motors, kind of like the Crosstrek Hybrid.

Official Subaru UK Link: https://www.subaru.co.uk/e-boxer/coming-soon
Youtube Review Pinkstones:
Youtube Planet Auto 1:
Youtube Planet Auto 2:

There are others floating around Youtube but are just either photos into a slideshow or people just driving it around with no talking. So, I thought these are the best so far.

If you have any other info maybe we could share it in here?

Edit: Recent article from TorqueNews. https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-you-won-t-see-new-subaru-forester-hybrid-model-anytime-soon

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0i N/A CVT
87 Posts
Hey all,

Looking to compile information on the Forester e-Boxer which is available in Europe. There's a few videos around YouTube but not much on the specifics, just people that took a little test drive in Latvia, it seems. The subaru.uk seems to have limited specifications also, just mostly about why hybrids are good.

It appears that it has no spare tire and is expected to get around 35 mpg combined, which is nice considering the vehicle is a mild hybrid and a decent size SUV. The e-Boxer also has a 2.0L engine that's mated to the electric motors, kind of like the Crosstrek Hybrid.

Official Subaru UK Link: https://www.subaru.co.uk/e-boxer/coming-soon
Youtube Review Pinkstones:
Youtube Planet Auto 1:
Youtube Planet Auto 2:

There are others floating around Youtube but are just either photos into a slideshow or people just driving it around with no talking. So, I thought these are the best so far.

If you have any other info maybe we could share it in here?

Edit: Recent article from TorqueNews. https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-you-won-t-see-new-subaru-forester-hybrid-model-anytime-soon

Thanks!
Please look at www.subaru.nl and follow the the various chapters.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This was a great link. Thank you.
Looks to confirm the 35 combined mpg which is great for a full time AWD car. Hope it arrives in the US for model year 2021!

I don't know what a lot of those extra fees are, but it appears that it comes in somewhere around $36,000 USD when converting the base Euros. I don't know nor did I factor those last two fees on the .nl site.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0i N/A CVT
87 Posts
This was a great link. Thank you.
Looks to confirm the 35 combined mpg which is great for a full time AWD car. Hope it arrives in the US for model year 2021!

I don't know what a lot of those extra fees are, but it appears that it comes in somewhere around $36,000 USD when converting the base Euros. I don't know nor did I factor those last two fees on the .nl site.
I ordered one and should be delivered at the end of november this year.Drove it on the highway last monday. Very smooth car to drive. You don't notice the electric device during driving.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,676 Posts
@Pilot1226 If that is UK Gallons, you might be in for a shock when converting to MPG using US gallons...(About 29mpg US)

Personally 35MPG is pretty poor for a hybrid

The British press has not been kind to the Forester hybrid:

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,355 Posts
I drove one at a Subaru owners event a few months ago. Nice to drive but I shan't be buying one. The saving in fuel would be a pittance on my annual mileage, and wouldn't come anywhere near the £5000 extra cost. The non premium model no longer includes a sunroof, a major feature for me, and no way will I buy a car without a spare wheel. For me, the hybrid is too little, too late, and too expensive. I'm waiting for a fully electric model.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
254 Posts
They would have a tough time selling many of them in the US when a Rav-4 Hybrid comes with AWD, gets +5 MPG (40 combined) and MSRP is at least $5k less for the base trim... not to mention other hybrid and EV options.

I highly doubt they bring it here, especially as the Crosstrek Hybrid is getting poor reviews for what the price premium gets you. My salesperson at my Colorado dealer flat told me they are not ordering any Crosstrek Hybrids, as they dont want to invest in the charging infrastructure for a product they know will sell poorly. I mean $36k for a Crosstrek? Get real Subaru

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RAV4 Hybrid has other things with it. It's not full-time AWD. The rear axle is driven by an electric motor to make it electronically driven AWD. It also hasn't been around for a full year yet so we don't know how it'll perform in winter conditions.

I agree the Crosstrek Hybrid is priced high, but I think this is a combination of it being the top trim (whereas you pointed out Toyota has them available in most but not all typical RAV4 trims), and don't forget, the Crosstrek Hybrid is a PHEV - the RAV4 is not. You also have around a 17 mile purely EV range with the Crosstrek, and it'll perform up to ~50 mph under purely EV power. The Crosstrek PHEV also has a tax credit incentive as well, since Subaru has not exceeded 200,000 unit sales yet. When this happens, like Tesla, Chevy, and Toyota, the credit gets phased out.

So you're looking closer to around 30,000 for a Crosstrek Hybrid, which is pretty good. Add that to the fact that you're getting nearly double the city mileage if you're a city dweller, this will add up considerably over time.

You're also correct that the Crosstrek Hybrid is only offered in a few states. This is because the tech people that service your car need to be trained, and that's a difficult endeavor for a single model. I imagine this'll expand as they roll out PHEV/EV across the fleet in the future.

@TMX I converted the mileage per liter using Google. This looks to be slightly higher than 35 mpg.

Also, if pricing stays equitable, if you don't factor in the Value Added Tax from the Subaru UK site, you're looking at a price of around $37,000 MSRP for the higher Forester e-Boxer trim.

I would do that. Between the tax credits, toll/highway credits, and fuel savings, even if I break even I'm still burning less gas.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
254 Posts
100% Subaru has a better AWD system than a Rav-4, but those shopping for a hybrid are not likely to be swayed by that fact, if they are even aware of it. MPG is king for the majority of people shopping hybrid crossovers

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Absolutely agree. That's why I think the Forester e-Boxer would be such a great hit here in the US - it would give people that want or need full-time AWD an option to be more eco-minded.

I like the Crosstrek but it's a little small for what I'm looking for since I almost always have my kids in the car every day, and I need more cargo room. If it was strictly a commuter car, I do like the Crosstrek Hybrid because then if I needed space I could just pop the seats down.

They are moving in the right direction though - I like that the Crosstrek Hybrid is a plug-in here. From what I can tell, the "e-Boxer" XV as it's marketed in the UK is not a plug-in hybrid. That's interesting, meaning they essentially have the same car in different trims on the other side of the ocean. I'm all for the plug-in, and maybe the US will have a PHEV variant of the Subaru Forester e-Boxer.

One can hope!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,676 Posts
That 35MPG looks to be using bigger British Gallons = 29 US MPG which doesn't seem much improvement over a 2.0 non turbo boxer.

Considering Subaru and Toyota have worked on a few projects together, I'm surprised Subaru's hybrid seems so lacking compared to the Toyotas in terms of mpg and how long it took to be brought to production. With the poor mpg, I can't see emissions being that low, meaning it is unlikely to be Congestion Zone tax exempt either.....

I wonder if Subaru and Toyota are working together on a hydrogen project. Toyota already has the Mirai but no Rav 4 version yet.

If the refuelling infrastructure allowed and they came out with a WRX type peformance version in the Forester format and threw in a spare wheel and got rid of the automated rear hatch and fixed the non supportive seats - That could be very tempting

Unless they came out with a Hydrogen Baja with WRX performance........

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baja is the mythical unicorn!

I converted the liters to US Gallons using a Google calculator. I don't see the 35 mpg being hard to attain, considering that Toyota can push 45 mpg city with the e-AWD system they use, and it makes sense that you'd lose a little efficiency since you need to propel the mechanical transaxle in the Subaru.

If it stays the same and gets launched in the US next year, I would still buy one when my lease is up or whenever I could get out of my lease without too much heartburn.

But, if they re-create the e-Boxer like they did the Crosstrek PHEV, I'd be more interested in that. The Crosstrek Hybrid in the US has a 17 mile fully EV range up to around 55 mph (almost 90 kmh) according to reviews on YouTube, can be plugged in to be greener, and has a EV motor that propels both the back and front axles. That's pretty neat.

The Forester has a bigger "chassis" to work with for battery storage, and more cargo room, so it seems like it could be useful. Most of the things I put in the back of my Forester don't really take up the full vertical space anyway, so I wouldn't miss the few inches they raise from the cargo floor.

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
190 Posts
I commented this to other thread already and then noticed this e-boxer dedicated thread. Anyways, the performance seems to be rather slow. 0-100kmh / 0-60mph is 11.8 seconds. It is actually the same than on 4th gen 2.0 non turbo engine. I guess this is due to the weight increase. I made a chart of the key differences please check it out too.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,676 Posts
I commented this to other thread already and then noticed this e-boxer dedicated thread. Anyways, the performance seems to be rather slow. 0-100kmh / 0-60mph is 11.8 seconds. It is actually the same than on 4th gen 2.0 non turbo engine. I guess this is due to the weight increase. I made a chart of the key differences please check it out too.
If you're looking for feedback, you can get some more figures for the 2.0 non turbo here: https://www.subaru.co.uk/forester-prices-specifications (MPG is in British Gallons, bigger than the little US gallons)

It would be nice to include UK MPG, US MPG and Litres/100Km to make things easier when making the comparison

I believe the non hybrid non turbo 2.0 engine is not an Atkinson Cycle engine, which might account for a difference in 0-60 times too - Not 100% sure though

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
190 Posts
If you're looking for feedback, you can get some more figures for the 2.0 non turbo here: https://www.subaru.co.uk/forester-prices-specifications (MPG is in British Gallons, bigger than the little US gallons)

It would be nice to include UK MPG, US MPG and Litres/100Km to make things easier when making the comparison

I believe the non hybrid non turbo 2.0 engine is not an Atkinson Cycle engine, which might account for a difference in 0-60 times too - Not 100% sure though
Thanks for the feedback, will update table accordingly!

atkinson thing seems to be difficult to confirm. Really can't find source where that it is from. Need to adjust text bit, to make it obvius that itis not a fact yet.

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
190 Posts
Finally I did have a opportunity to test drive new eboxer. As we don't have the 5th generation available here, it is somewhat difficult to compare characteristics. Ride was smooth, cabin relatively quiet and roomy. Probable very much alike to car which have been available in North America for a while.

What is different is this powertrain. Car is not fast but I would say that there is enough torque and power available in most everyday driving situations. Easy to drive in stop and go traffic, merging to highways etc. My blog is also updated with this test drive, if you are interested to see some more feelings of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Advance CVT
28 Posts
As an owner of the eboxer since July, it has enough power for driving and merging comfortably here in Japan, but the average merge speed I would say is only 50-65MPH much slower than that of USA highways. If any doubt, just put in the Sport Mode and the electric motor gives some extra kick. While mileage in Tokyo city driving is poor (25MPG), the highway mileage has been great sometimes over 40MPG. The Forester feels firmly planted when compared to the RAV4 I test drove a few times. After adding the STI tower bar and Front Draw Stiffener the body roll is several reduced and feels a bit more solid like the BMW X5 or Porsche Macan rather than a JDM Small SUV class. It really makes the front end and overall feel of the car way different.
It is very quiet inside, but and eboxer kicking on and off is very smooth compared to other hybrids I have driven. The trade off in city mileage I accept for smoothness of the engine, technology, safety, and comfort of having a superior AWD system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
be aware when comparing it with the RAV4. The latter has a bigger battery and a more powerful electric engine.
Nevertheless, the Forester brings a real 4WD and, given the battery capacity and engine power, good MPG.
By the way, if the battery is not empty, the car shuts down the engine at speed < 80 km/h and you can proceed with a slight pressure on the accelerator pedal.

Order in Italy are open since middle July and first deliveries are scheduled for end of November.
In Switzerland orders will be available beginning 2020; in Germany starting from March 2020.

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
190 Posts
"500 miles update"

Not so much experience yet but I must say that I enjoy driving the new e-Boxer. Based on acceleration figures (0-60) 11.8 seconds I kind of expected more sluggish day-to-day performance. That was my biggest worry before receiving car. At least so far car seem to perform very well. Easy to merge to highways and if need to pass somebody, that is easy enough for the car. I am sure that electric motor boosts with instant torque just enough, to give good in-practice performance. Sufficient for my needs. Interestingly car felt different than the one I tested 4 months ago. That unit was some sort of pre-production unit. So maybe Subaru has tuned production car someway. And demo car was meant to different market area than the ones we got here for sale.

Steering wheel feels good and steering is very nimble. It is actually nice to drive on curvy roads. Again I didn't expect that due to the car height. Steering responsive headlights are great! First time I had those and immediately loved it. From the negative points so far I could mention fuel tank capacity is rather small, consumption (with this experience) is around 30 mpg. I am sure that will evolve over time as I get more kilometers (miles). Need to drive bit more and get more experiences.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
Subaru needs to take a page out of Toyota's book and make a Forester PHEV that models the upcoming Rav-4 Prime. The whole tacked on electronics with minimal power improvements doesn't seem like a serious effort.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts