Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I'm in a long, knock-down, drag-out fight with Subaru re: my 2018 Subaru Forester 6MT.

When I bought the car I specifically asked if the previous well-documented oil consumption issues had been resolved, and I was assured that this was no longer any concern. Unfortunately (for me, anyway - Subaru doesn't seem to mind...), this appears to not be the case. My new 2018 Subaru Forester consumes oil like an old Vega; it can use up to a quart of oil in ~1600 miles. Doesn't seem too resolved to me...!

In any event, my position is that the oil consumption issue still exists and that Subaru was not truthful with me when I asked about oil consumption. Their position is that the oil consumption issue does not exist any longer, and that this is just an isolated failure and as such is simply a warranty issue. Of course, that's probably what they said just before the previous class action lawsuit about this very issue.

So, my question to all of you is: Do any of you have a post-2015 Forester (the 2015 and earlier Foresters have already been identified in a Subaru TSB # 02-157-14R) that consumes engine oil during normal operation?

If you have a 2016 to 2018 Subaru Forester that consume oil, please identify your year, transmission and oil consumption rate.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?!? Just two of us have oil consumption problems??

I was under the impression that oil consumption was common for this configuration (at least, that's what the dealer told me!).

·
Administrator
15,398 Posts
There are already several existing threads in relation to oil consumption such that members may not want to participate in "yet another oil consumption" thread ;-)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it.

I was hoping to have a consolidated list of oil consumption configurations, year and rate. Not another rambling complaint thread.

Oh, well. I'll see if I can pull the information from the other threads.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,162 Posts
That information is already out there, more or less.

Short answer is earlier FB25 engines have a higher incidence of consumption issues, especially prior to 2016 model years. Manual transmission vehicles also have a significantly higher incidence than CVTs, and consumption issues in manuals have been reported in post-2016 vehicles as well, though not as much as prior. Rate is variable.

There's not much value in compiling a spreadsheet as the conclusions are already known and it would just be rehashing things.

And every oil consumption thread turns into a rambling complaint thread, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Base 6MT 6MT
13 Posts
I have a 2018 6MT base. I have only driven it 1500 miles, it appears to have used about 1/4 of quart. Which is fine with me. We will see as time goes on.

BTW, if it used a quart every 3000 miles, your cost for oil over the reg oil change would be around 30 bucks for a driver that drives 15K a year. I am not going to get all worked up over 30 bucks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
156 Posts
I observed about 1L of oil used during the first 4,000 miles. Subsequently use has diminished to about 100ml / 1000 miles up to my current 10,700 miles. I think proper break in helps, as does driving style. Consumption was definitely higher during urban stop and go and the reduction coincided with a move to a more rural region. In a certain respect, if you like to row your own gears you are probably mechanically sympathetic enough to live with periodic oil checks and top offs.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
Being more specific to manuals, I would assume the primary issue would be with the ability to clear the cylinder walls of oil via the oil control rings while in vacuum due to engine braking that's typically used more with a manual vehicle. I had another vehicle that had oil consumption due to premature wear on the rings (known issue) and i saw dramatic decreases in consumption switching oils. At the time I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to reduce consumption...are you guys sticking with the Subaru Idemitsu oil or have you tried different oils to see if the consumption is reduced?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Base 6MT 6MT
13 Posts
I use very little engine breaking as I live in a area that is flat. I shift to neutral and coast or use my brakes when stopping for traffic controls.

The 6MT also is geared lower, so it turns more RPM at 60 mph ( about 260 rpm) which could lead to more oil use.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
156 Posts
I switched to topping off with Subaru 5w-30 during the initial period of high consumption during break in, it may have helped. For the 3rd oil change at 10,000 (1st at 3k, 2nd at 6k) I am giving Idemitsu EcoMedalist 0W-30 to see how it runs. In the summer months if I need to do another change and have any long road trips planned I may go back to a 5w-30 like the Idemitsu touring.

·
Administrator
15,398 Posts
Reminder - this is not a general discussion thread as the op is seeking specific information. There are many other general discussion threads for oil consumption so please use those - thanks.

Non-specific posts may be moved without notice.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,215 Posts
The criteria is more than 1/3 quart per 1200 miles.
Get a consumption test done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
All -

I was only trying to get a consolidated list of oil consumption for 2016-2018 vehicles. My car definitely uses oil - as much as 1 qt in ~1600 miles. Document by the dealer. I was just gathering info to support my case with Subaru re: this is a known issue. The dealer has told me that this is common to this one configuration (2.5L, 6MT), but Subaru denies.

Basically, I'm lazy - I didn't want to hash through all the other threads to compile a list. Sorry.

Thanks for all your responses.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
22 Posts
MFG: 04/18, Purchased: 06/18, Mileage as of 03/19: 5,800. First oil change (Mobile 1 0w-20) @ 4,500miles. Driving style: BABY IT

Maybe I'm lucky, but so far, ZERO oil consumption. I am very gentle with the gas pedal, however. I don't think this engine has ever gone higher than 4.5K RPM, and it usually stays under 3K. I always warm it up a bit before driving, etc. I rarely bother with engine braking because it's entirely ineffective in this vehicle.

Best of luck with your engine troubles, gaborkin. I can empathize.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree; babying the engine reduces oil consumption (but sucks the fun out of driving a manual transmission). Also, engine braking is sometimes ineffective; it's as if the ECM is trying to maintain RPM rather than letting the engine slow the car. Maybe related to the "rev hang" issue.

Is yours a CVT or manual?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a manual. FWIW, as this drive-train gains more miles, it's making more "boxer" noises... more noticeable when completely warmed up.
What kind of noises? Mine makes a metallic rapping/knocking sound (like detonation) at between 2200 and 2800 RPMs when lightly loaded. For example, cruising slowly in light traffic using 2nd gear at ~2500 RPMs, or when lightly accelerating up a slight incline in 2nd gear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts