Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@Ray Bell Yep learning as I go. Subarus are a new territory for me. Thanks for the support, it helps a lot. Just got the resurfaced cylinder heads back today and installed. I have been out on vacation so back to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, the motor is installed but unfortunately, there is a rod knock after 10 mins of warmup time, probably from a connecting rod/camshaft bearing. The cylinder heads sound fine, they checked out at the machine shop and valve lash was set properly. Using the stethoscope it seems to be coming from the center of the engine, located next to the crankshaft. It looks like I am back to square one and get to start all over again. Ugh..

I have the old block taken apart from the seized engine and it has bad bearings and needs a new crankshaft. Normally I would just replace the block but this for a hobby/"fun". Maybe I can use parts from both old and replacement blocks. I am not sure what the condition of the replacement block is yet but needs to be removed again. I will need to replace two connecting rods, crankshaft, and all the bearings. Does anybody have any good deals on a used crankshaft? I might just buy a new one for 260$

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Finally success, the engine is in and working perfectly. Few more odds and ends and we will be ready. The coil-overs are driving me nuts, think I will go back to stock shocks/struts.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts