Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate owns a first gen Subaru Forester. He recently took it to the dealer because he was suspicious of a gas leak. and it came back with quite a list. here it is

Power steering rack leaking needs replacement 975.00
Left front axel seal leaking and needs replacement 150.00
Right front axel boot is torn and cv joint contaminated 340.00
Transmission pan gasket leaking – needs new gasket and fluid 275.00
Oil pan gasket leaking – remove and replace 485.00
Fuel smell? May need new fuel pump gasket
Alignment would be done at no charge after steering rack is replaced (where's the lol smiley for this)

Anyways, I found the prices for all the parts online, with the power steering rack being the most for some $300. it ended up being $400 + shipping for everything. Anyways, I was wondering if any of these problems are common for the Forester. Just curious to see if my friend is the only unfortunate one to have all these problems happen to him. link to any threads would be appreciated :)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,088 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Take it to another shop & see what they say. Don't show them the previous shops findings. Let them come up with their own list of problems & see how they compare. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I agree, it's time for a second opinion.
Rack...obviously available far cheaper. If the outer rack boots aren't full of fluid I wouldn't worry about it, or at least put it off.
Axle seal...annoying, but probably not imperative.
CV boot torn...yeah, that I'd do. New axles are pretty affordable from the aftermarket now, and I'm sure that price can be beat.
Pan gaskets...if they're just damp, can be ignored for awhile. If drippage onto the floor is occurring, may need to be done sooner unless your friend wants to be vigilant checking his fluid levels.
Fuel smell...check the filler tube. These are a known corrosion failure item. May even be covered by Subaru.
Stealership techs are often trained to find everything possible to attempt upselling the customer more work. While it's nice to have them look the car over thoroughly every time it's in, there's no sense spending $2300 bucks on a car that may only be worth slightly more than that. Do the essentials, worry about the annoyances as time/money permits.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I agree, it's time for a second opinion.
Rack...obviously available far cheaper. If the outer rack boots aren't full of fluid I wouldn't worry about it, or at least put it off.
Axle seal...annoying, but probably not imperative.
CV boot torn...yeah, that I'd do. New axles are pretty affordable from the aftermarket now, and I'm sure that price can be beat.
Pan gaskets...if they're just damp, can be ignored for awhile. If drippage onto the floor is occurring, may need to be done sooner unless your friend wants to be vigilant checking his fluid levels.
Fuel smell...check the filler tube. These are a known corrosion failure item. May even be covered by Subaru.
Stealership techs are often trained to find everything possible to attempt upselling the customer more work. While it's nice to have them look the car over thoroughly every time it's in, there's no sense spending $2300 bucks on a car that may only be worth slightly more than that. Do the essentials, worry about the annoyances as time/money permits.
+1, good call, stealerships are sneaky bastards!

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Yea, I went there to get 4 spark plugs and they wanted to charge me $56. I went to Napa and got 4 NKG plugs for $8. I won't even say how much they wanted for wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:
Thanks :) Never owned a Subaru, but always a fan of friendly forums. I had a buttload of problems with my 04 Acura TL and posted a thead at acurazine. some one replied "lemon for sure" and the thread layed dormant. Brought it back up, and only one person made a useful reply, but then the thread was taken OT.

Take it to another shop & see what they say. Don't show them the previous shops findings. Let them come up with their own list of problems & see how they compare. :wink:
Thats the plan. Unfortunately the car is a few cities away under his parents control (college juniors are still pretty dependent on parents these days :icon_redface:).

Cheaper racks would be great. What about power steering stop leak fluid? Couldn't it act as a very cheap temporary fix. I dont think its leaking that bad.

Was it a Recall? why would it be covered by Subaru? My friends car is at latest an 01, and even if, it would still be 9 years old. 10 year warrantys are still pretty rare to come by these days. goodwill?

Heres a long story shorter. Made reservations for a loaner week in advance and for car to be fixed. brought it in. No loaner. brought me to get a free rental car. rental car place tried upselling me. I screamed at them. came back few days to pick up my car (all warranty related stuff btw). said they highly recommend my brakes be changed urgently. cost close to 200. said no :yell:. Got my own carbon ceramic brakes on sale for 55. changed my pads (Which were perfectly fine (had +60% left on them). Ugh...
Yea, I went there to get 4 spark plugs and they wanted to charge me $56. I went to Napa and got 4 NKG plugs for $8. I won't even say how much they wanted for wires.
Did that include installation ($56)? If so, I would have done it. horizontally placed v6's that are deeper in the bay end up becoming a night mare to do. I pretty much had to take apart my car to just change the plugs.

Thanks for the info so far everyone :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Did that include installation ($56)? If so, I would have done it. horizontally placed v6's that are deeper in the bay end up becoming a night mare to do. I pretty much had to take apart my car to just change the plugs.

Thanks for the info so far everyone :icon_biggrin:
Absolutley not. Installed would be 1 hour labour (+$30=$86)They wanted $14 a plug for me to put them in. I can do my plugs in <20 min in my fozz.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
593 Posts
You say it is a first generation auto...does that mean a '98 model year. If so a car that's 11 years old is gonna need some work. If the car as been used for 11 years and maintenance was spotty then I would think that the cost of these items amortized over the 11 year life of an auto is minimal.

Yeah you should be able to get better prices at a non-dealer Subaru mechanic..so that is one way to go but as far as the work...nothing lasts forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts