1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL,

Shopping for a 2019 Forester.
Dealer website advertises Subaru Equity Shield which offers Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection.
Curious if anyone has taken this coverage - depending on price think it might be worthwhile with cost of replacing a rim or loosing a key fob.
Also, if you took this coverage were the prices of this coverage negotiable?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased the extra coverage and am very glad i did. Within 4 months and 4000 miles of having our 2019 forester sport we have a large crack in our windshield. Wife hit a very small rock about the size of a skittle. Its crazy because we have never had a rock chip or crack on any other vehicle our entire lives. Glad its covered! The glass has a sound film on it, i believe, that makes it extra spendy.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,443 Posts
@Joe A...I think you may be in error with your post as Equity Shield has NOTHING to do with tires and glass, etc. It protects the EQUITY in your car if your car is totaled, stolen or not recovered after being stolen. Your dealer may be bundling that with the other stuff but sounds deceptive to me. My 2 cents and that of just about every car mag including Consumer Reports is to stay AWAY from these types of protection plans that cover wheels, glass, dents and dings. Typically, WAY overpriced, and you'll never get your money out of it. Most folks have windshield coverage on their car insurance plan. Mine is a zero deductible...some have $50 and some are handled under comprehensive at $100 deductible but glass replacement is cheap if you have decent car insurance. Tire & wheel, along with dentless PP will most never be used but like anything else, it is an "insurance" policy against what may happen so your money...your decision. How much do they want for it?

Ask again about the Equity Shield and the other stuff and they are two totally different animals and Subaru has no plan to cover wheels, glass and dings. They are 3rd-party plans that are HUGE money makers for the dealership...BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-equity-shield.htm

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,284 Posts
Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection.
In addition to what securityguy says, some plans like the above contain so many loopholes and exclusions that they rarely pay off. Make sure you get the terms of the plan in writing and review carefully before making a final decision. Don't rely on verbal commitments or assurances from the sales or finance person.

·
Registered
18' 2.5 Premium 6MT
156 Posts
@Joe A...I think you may be in error with your post as Equity Shield has NOTHING to do with tires and glass, etc. It protects the EQUITY in your car if your car is totaled, stolen or not recovered after being stolen. Your dealer may be bundling that with the other stuff but sounds deceptive to me. My 2 cents and that of just about every car mag including Consumer Reports is to stay AWAY from these types of protection plans that cover wheels, glass, dents and dings. Typically, WAY overpriced, and you'll never get your money out of it. Most folks have windshield coverage on their car insurance plan. Mine is a zero deductible...some have $50 and some are handled under comprehensive at $100 deductible but glass replacement is cheap if you have decent car insurance. Tire & wheel, along with dentless PP will most never be used but like anything else, it is an "insurance" policy against what may happen so your money...your decision. How much do they want for it?

Ask again about the Equity Shield and the other stuff and they are two totally different animals and Subaru has no plan to cover wheels, glass and dings. They are 3rd-party plans that are HUGE money makers for the dealership...BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-equity-shield.htm
Often your insurer will have an option termed along the lines of "full replacement value" or the like. I have USAA and this addition is pretty nominal and give you the piece of mind of getting not just current value but like replacement value if your car is totaled. You are better off in my opinion using the insurance add on, in my experience USAA for one has been very easy to work with and I trust their coverage is without too many loopholes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
36 Posts
I skipped on it. The price for the protection didn't add up to long term savings. My car insurance offers free windshield replacements. I can find a dent repair for under $50 per dent if I needed.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responding. This is what the dealer posts on it's website - I tried to add link but could not post with live link - this is Wayne Subaru in NJ:

Subaru Equity Shield or SES

Subaru Optimum Vehicle Protection

Optimum Vehicle Protection Plus provides you with protection for the following items:

Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection

Terms available up to five years
Can be added to your auto financing
These items may be purchased separately or as a bundle in Subaru OVP.

Tire and Wheel Protection

Highlights (not all of the features are listed below, ask your salesperson for more details)

Repair or replacement of tire due to road hazard
Replacement of wheel if structural damage due to road hazard
No limit on occurrences or claim benefits
No mileage limitations
Transferrable if you sell your vehicle
Coverage exclusions may apply, ask for details
Paintless Dent Repair

Highlights (not all of the features are listed below, ask your salesperson for more details)

Permanently remove door dings/minor dents up to 4 inches in diameter
Transferable if you sell your vehicle
Convenient repairs, done where you are
Windshield Protection

Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield
Convenient repairs, done where you are
Transferable if you sell your vehicle
Key Protection

Cost of replacement key and/or transponder up to $500 per occurrence
24 hour vehicle lock-out assistance up to $100 per occurrence

They sure like to say "coverage exclusions may apply" a lot :)

I've had to replace my current windshield twice and so this information caught my eye (my insurance does not cover replacement - just chips- I wish I just had chips!). Time to get better insurance! Been lucky with pot holes but thought only a matter of time and subie rims are pricey. Never lost a key but I read fobs are around $340 to replace.

Still have to decide on a sport or a touring model. Prob go with the sport - just trying to figure out the radio (no one knows wattage on base 8.0 radio all they talk about is the 576 watt radio).

in my research I've found $800-$1000 for this coverage. it's prob makes more sense if you are leasing and crush tires on the regular - which is is more than likely given some NJ roads.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Hope to find the right car soon.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for writing. I've just been looking online at this stuff (posted details above) - have an appointment tomorrow to sit in a sport/touring to decide which one - will get more details (in writing them). will share what I find. Thanks again.

In addition to what securityguy says, some plans like the above contain so many loopholes and exclusions that they rarely pay off. Make sure you get the terms of the plan in writing and review carefully before making a final decision. Don't rely on verbal commitments or assurances from the sales or finance person.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,443 Posts
@Joe A...your dealer is being a bit deceitful by bundling the Equity Protection with the other stuff that have ZERO to do with the Equity Protection Plan. Personally, you do not need ANY of it so I would pass on this if I were you.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,900 Posts
@Joe A -
I think you might benefit from a thorough reading of the "exclusions", but a lot of the coverage seems dubious, and is available through other means.

You mentioned your interest in windshield replacement, but from my reading, that ISN'T covered.
Note: "Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield" is NOT the same thing as replacement of the glass, rather it is a minor repair.

Tire warranty - inexpensive add on when you replace your not so great stock tires somewhere other than the overpriced dealer.

Dents - Get a low deductible insurance policy and the dents are covered through your comprehensive.

Key protection - Look at the exclusions, but if you lose both keyless "keys" on a new model Forester, it can cost THOUSANDS and take weeks to replace.

Buy and extra key instead and store it in a safe place.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,443 Posts
Looks like Subaru of Las Vegas has the same SES "protection plan" as Wayne Subaru:
https://www.subaruoflasvegas.com/financing/subaru-equity-shield.html

But this Atlanta dealer has the SES equity protection plan that security guy mentioned:
https://www.classicsubaruofatlanta.com/subaru-equity-shield.htm

Confusing...same name, completely different plans.
Tire & Wheel, Dent & Ding and Permaplate are after market third-party protection plans that are not offered or warranted by SOA. These ads are deceitful by combining the two to make them appear as if they are connected for those that will not know any better. Not good business practice:frown2:

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forest Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed! thanks for your input!

@Joe A -
I think you might benefit from a thorough reading of the "exclusions", but a lot of the coverage seems dubious, and is available through other means.

You mentioned your interest in windshield replacement, but from my reading, that ISN'T covered.
Note: "Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield" is NOT the same thing as replacement of the glass, rather it is a minor repair.

Tire warranty - inexpensive add on when you replace your not so great stock tires somewhere other than the overpriced dealer.

Dents - Get a low deductible insurance policy and the dents are covered through your comprehensive.

Key protection - Look at the exclusions, but if you lose both keyless "keys" on a new model Forester, it can cost THOUSANDS and take weeks to replace.

Buy and extra key instead and store it in a safe place.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium
12 Posts
My opinion: dealers don't make much on the negotiated sale price of new cars, so they optimize profits in other ways. Used cars, the service department, accessories and financing are part of the mix. At the final stage of a sale, the new car customer is ushered into the inner sanctum, which is the finance office. There you will be at the mercy of the sharpest operator in the business, the finance manager. It is that person's job to maximize the dealer's profit on the sale. You will be cajoled with expensive add ons, all of which are designed with one goal: to fatten that profit. There's only one item you can't get out of, and that's the "document preparation" fee. That's added just like the shipping charge, and I've never seen them bend on it. So, before you even set foot in the showroom, steel your nerves, and resolve to just say no to all of them. The chance that any will ever pay for themselves is almost nil. The only exception may be the financing offer. Always go to the dealer with the best financing you can line up preapproved. If the dealer can beat that with a better deal, fine and dandy, but at least you won't be at the mercy of a slick operator to accept their financing.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
A long time ago a very smart man told me that the BIG PRINT will give it to you and the small print will take it away....

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
124 Posts
At the final stage of a sale, the new car customer is ushered into the inner sanctum, which is the finance office. There you will be at the mercy of the sharpest operator in the business, the finance manager. It is that person's job to maximize the dealer's profit on the sale. You will be cajoled with expensive add ons, all of which are designed with one goal: to fatten that profit.

So true. My experience followed the pattern, albeit with a twist. As the executor of a friend's estate I had the opportunity to buy out his lease on a 16-month old Touring Forester with only 1500 mi. and a reduced payoff due to a sizeable trade-in. Chase Bank, which handled Subaru lease agreements, was simply impossible to deal with and in the end only the involvement of another friend, who worked for the bank which financed the original dealership, enabled a deal whereby the dealer paid the lease balance and buyout and then sold the car to me at their cost. The final stage of the transaction was friendly but direct--they were looking to sell the "extras" to show some return on the transaction. I abstained from everything they offered (and later bought an extended factory warranty from Luke.) I kind of felt badly that I couldn't throw them a bone on the add-ons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the extra coverage and am very glad i did. Within 4 months and 4000 miles of having our 2019 forester sport we have a large crack in our windshield. Wife hit a very small rock about the size of a skittle. Its crazy because we have never had a rock chip or crack on any other vehicle our entire lives. Glad its covered! The glass has a sound film on it, i believe, that makes it extra spendy.
Did they repair or place your windshield?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts