Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Stick shift
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '07 Forester XT Sports Dark Grey... and I love it.

I also own a '05 Civic sedan.

Originally the Civic was for the wife and the FXT was mine, but ever since the birth of our daughter I have left the FXT for the wife. She feels more secure with the added height and safety features compared to the Civic,and I agree.

So now I will be selling the Civic to buy myself a car, and in here lies the dilemma.

Do I buy another non-turbo Forester for my wife and take back my FXT or do I go for a Legacy GT Sedan for myself? I'll be buying used MY05-08, so in both cases it's not the new models out.

I love the FXT, but I think the Legacy GT might be a nice option as well, and the bonus is we'll own 2 Turbo Subarus!!!

I've also looked at 05+ Audi A4 Quattros, but I know that maintenance costs will be higher then the Legacy/Forester.

So what would you do?:icon_question:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
What does your wife want? Would she be cool with an N/A Forester? If so, getting an X/XS model would be the cheaper option. If she want to keep the turbo power, then get an LGT for yourself! I love my Forester, but I would rather daily drive an LGT if I had the choice. If our first Forester was an XT, then I would have got an LGT.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
80 Posts
If marriage has taught me anything, so far, it's to get your wife a more powerful and sportier car than yourself, that way you wont here about it when you try to buy "minor" upgrades for yourself because she will think that you "deserve" it. So buy her a STi, who knows it might be yours someday!

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
If marriage has taught me anything, so far, it's to get your wife a more powerful and sportier car than yourself, that way you wont here about it when you try to buy "minor" upgrades for yourself because she will think that you "deserve" it. So buy her a STi, who knows it might be yours someday!
I'm with you superootuner!! Buy her the STI!!

My wife has the 07 FXT sport in wrb while I'm rocking the 02 wrx with 190,000miles!!

dm

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I would test drive the daylights out of all options and then decide. The Legacy drives nothing like the Forester, so loving one Subaru doesn't necessarily mean a different model will leave you feeling as warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Obviously the solution is for you to sell your FXT to me, then buy matching his - and - her vehicles.

Now you might be asking yourself how did I get worked into your dilemma, but don't bother yourself with these details, just believe me its the best solution available

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
So what would you do?:icon_question:
Keep the Civic...I know boring. However, I have owned 6 Hondas, got more than 150K out of 5 of them without a single trip to a dealer or mechanic for repairs. Honda number 6 (Mrs.' 06 Pilot) has 125K on the clock, same thing--nothing but scheduled maintenence.

I own an '08 Forester XT. Just had my first trip to the dealer for warranty repairs with 26K on the clock. :icon_frown:

I love the Subaru, but I love my Hondas more. If I make it 200K without any repairs to the Subaru I might be able to convince myself to buy another.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
^i would say your case is not normal though. i came from hondas myself... had it's share of issues.. like wheel bearings!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK is ok wife a N/A Forester for herself.

We owned two Imprezas before this FXT so I can safely say I enjoy Subarus so the Legacy GT shouldn't dissapoint.

The sensible option is obviously to keep the Civic or at most by a N/A Subaru, either Forester or Legacy, but let's be honest here, owning a Turbo Forester has nothing sensible about it... so that boat sailed a long time ago.

I also own a 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, slightly modified(runs mid [email protected]+ MPH). I enjoy Sunday drives in that. All this to say I am a car guy at heart so the Civic really doesn't cut it.

I will go test drive a Legacy GT locally to make sure, but I am leaning that way.

Anyone interested in a '05 Civic, low mileage, 5 speed with A/C?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
You want a car or a wagon?

In my experience the audi will be in the shop WAY more often...

Definitely make sure both are turbos though so if you need to trade you will still enjoy the car, also neither of you will be able to get stuck with the "shat" car... which will make you slowly start to hate each other

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't mind wagons...hence the FXT. But for the Legacy I'd go with the sedan.

Also any purchase will be a used car....so 05+ Legacy GT not the new one :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts