Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at the end of the road with the stock Geolanders. I've been shopping around for replacements and when I went to the dealer for an oil change they let me know they recommended replacing the rear tires. I also received a follow up letter in the mail recommending rear tire replacement. Thinking that all four tires need to be replace at the same time I called to ask some questions. I asked, and had the service rep check with the rest of the staff but they stuck to their answer, just need to replace both front or both rear but not necessarily all four at the same time.

I also asked how they rotate tires and the answer was front to back (not cross over) even though the tires are not directional.

I checked the manual and I couldn't find a specific requirement for replacing all four tires at the same time. For rotation it's cross over if unidirectional and front to back if directional.

Anyway trying to decide between goodyear assurance weatherready, michelin premier A/S or LTX or michelin defender T+H. I do a lot of city driving on roads with more potholes than smooth surface. When I do find myself on a smooth highway I do appreciate a quiet ride.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,929 Posts
Page 11-31 of your owner's manual states: "For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time."

I would call another Subaru dealer for a second opinion. When I have done so I've been told that all four tires need to be within 2/32 or 3/32 tread depth of one another, depending who I am talking do.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,645 Posts
Perhaps the dealer only has two tires in stock....
Regardless, it sounds like the dealer is out to lunch, or they plan on doing some repair work after the mismatched tires screw up your drive train.
Why buy tires from a dealer anyway? A small selection of aged and overpriced rubber doesn't typically make the best deal.
There are a lot better choices in most places, and most (reputable/honest) places won't even put on two tires on a Subaru when they clearly require a full set change.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Page 11-31 of your owner's manual states: "For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time."

I would call another Subaru dealer for a second opinion. When I have done so I've been told that all four tires need to be within 2/32 or 3/32 tread depth of one another, depending who I am talking do.

geez, I need to get my eyes checked. I looked at this page and still missed it, thanks for pointing this out!

I’m leaning towards getting a set of 4 Goodyear assurance weatherready tires from tire rack the current promo is $200 off and I can save another $40 for local pickup at the warehouse. I was just following up with the dealer’s mailer about replacing just the rear tires.

I appreciate everyone’s comments!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
19 Posts
Agree. Typically dealers don't offer free lifetime rotation, rebalancing and flat repairs that many tire stores do.
Agree with both, all 4 and not from the dealership. I use consumer reports and tirerack.com for research. If you don't have a CR account and want specific info on a tire just send me a PM.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
959 Posts
...trying to decide between goodyear assurance weatherready, michelin premier A/S or LTX or michelin defender T+H. I do a lot of city driving on roads with more potholes than smooth surface. When I do find myself on a smooth highway I do appreciate a quiet ride.
I did the stock size Costco version of Michelin Defender T+H couple months ago and they are very good tires for like $5 less per tire. They have a little more tread depth than the two higher up Michelins and I like having some tread for better traction all around.

Next tires I'm probably going with some real ATs like BFG KO2 in one size up 225/65/R17:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=265SR7KO2&tab=Sizes

Yes, find a new dealer who's smarter than that and don't buy old stock over-priced tires from the dealer anyways.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,642 Posts
Yes, dealer is the worst place to buy tires.

We love our supporting vendor Discount Tires, and we have also had good experiences with Tirerack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts