Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,029 Posts
I’ve read that Subaru claims something around 85% of the new Forester engine components are totally new parts...

I guess we’ll soon find out whether or not the questionable valve springs fall into the 85% category, or the 15% category

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
256 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming the 18 XT would be included? Maybe this is why all of the Subaru factory warranties jumped in price by $200 a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
550 Posts
Great, thats just great.Going on a coast to coast road trip, then again maybe not! AND, Im not sure I would trust the dealer to actually perform whatever is needed to satisfy the recall.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,156 Posts
No need for further speculation. We won't find out till we find out.

But meanwhile, has anybody here personally encountered this?

·
Registered
2017 '08 2.5x / '17 2.5i 4EAT, CVT
181 Posts
Very disappointing. Back in 2017 I came very close to buying a new RAV4 instead of the Forester. Wish I'd gone with the Toyota now.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,029 Posts
No need for further speculation. We won't find out till we find out.

But meanwhile, has anybody here personally encountered this?
I did a quick Google of “Subaru valve spring failure”, expecting to see a long list of failures, but at first glance there wasn’t a whole lot of activity that seemed to be directly attributed to what may be such a widespread issue.

As for me, I’m not going to get too concerned about the issue until after I hear what Subaru does about the recall, and find out which vehicles are involved.

I know several Subaru owners, and not a one of them has experienced this issue that I’m aware of.

It serves no purpose to get all panicky before knowing more about the situation.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Scheesch..what a bunch of worry warts. Folks that worry that much just need to get an extended warranty. Worry is bad for your health. And with the complexity of all vehicles..you know you will use it. And even if you use only have the cost your warranty price drops by 50%

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
I agree with ADC about the worrying part.

IF there's a recall
and you are affected, it's not a warranty issue as Subaru is responsible for any repair costs for the recall.... even if you are out of the warranty period.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,630 Posts
I would think that if this was something to worry about, the valve spring problem would have already surfaced on this forum.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
Subaru Could Issue Massive Recall

Subaru Could Issue Massive Recall Affecting Many U.S. Models

According to sources in Japan, “a valve spring could break and hamper the workings of the engine.” The report says every vehicle Subaru manufactures, except for their Mini vehicles, (not sold in the U.S.) are affected which means hundreds of thousands of Subaru vehicles in the U.S. could be recalled.

This would include all models like Outback, Forester, Crosstrek, Impreza, Legacy, WRX, WRX STI, and BRZ sports coupe. It would also include the Toyota 86 jointly produced with Subaru and uses the same Boxer engine.
Anyone heard about this?

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,208 Posts
I'm not a fan of Torque News's journalistic standards, if you can call them that. The Japanese newspaper article linked in the Torque article says nothing about Foresters. Other sources alluded to are not named. I will wait until I read about this in a reliably-sourced article from a trusted publication before I panic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.