Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damm,
Just came back from my local shop. He quoted me 500$ to change the timing belt and Water pump. I knew that it would cost more. But not that much! :crazy:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad to me either. But I guess $500 bones is $500 bones I'd rather have in my pocket. :shrug:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that I already have a timing belt.
So it's time + the water pump.
Anyway! I guess I better get use to it. Good thing that I have a good backbone right now. Financially speaking!
But yeah I could of done a lot of thing with this 500$ lollll

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Its over $1,000 at the Toyota dealer for our Sienna's timing belt and water pump. Our indie mechanic will do just the timing belt for $430, so the $500 sounds just fine to me as it includes a water pump.

And on my Pathfinder, it was over $3,000 to do the timing chain. The motor has to come out....

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Damm,
Just came back from my local shop. He quoted me 500$ to change the timing belt and Water pump. I knew that it would cost more. But not that much! :crazy:
thats pretty good actually - but it will go up more normally because most will end up replacing acces belts , the tensioner and poss a few pulleys at the same time .

so it sounds like a good price because some pretty normal parts aren't in the estimate

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Damm,
Just came back from my local shop. He quoted me 500$ to change the timing belt and Water pump. I knew that it would cost more. But not that much!
What a rip off! I can't believe those techs don't work for free!

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Damm,
That's not bad. The dealer would ask me about the same to do the same work on my '87 Civic Si, or to replace the rear bearings and do a brake job on my Yamaha ATV.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! Except for moengel :chair::icon_wink:
I feel a bit better about the price I guess. loll
I want to keep my forester a long time so It's worth it.

2003Suby: Should I ask him to change those parts also?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
this one cracks me up for some reason
Amount: $1,800.00 Timing belt/water pump/100k service
Posted by: Anon in Manassas, VA. Purchased: October, 2001
Car Make: VW Car Model: Beetle

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Damm,
Does sound a little high. My timing belt was replaced yesterday by my local Subaru dealer for $378 labour Aussie dollars which aren't worth quite as much as your Canadian dollar and that included an oil/filter change, tyre rotation and balance. Charged 4 hours labour for that. Subaru Australia specify set times for all the services so they can always quote me the cost beforehand and this time they overquoted by $44 which came as a pleasant surprise. The belt cost $198. Then we get hit with 10% GST on all of that.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Depends where you live. But this seems like a good deal to me, paying 500.0 for this kind of job you would not see me even blink.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
What a rip off! I can't believe those techs don't work for free!
Well I thought they worked for the coffee and doughnuts! Seriously, the price seems fair. One always has to remember the mechanic is not pocketing the full labor charge, most of that goes to defray the shop/dealer's overhead. And some do have more over their heads than others!
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was quoted $800 for Cam Belt w/ Water Pump,etc and $1400 for HG, both sides. $2200.00 total.
Subies are not cheap cars to own. :tissue: 2006 Forester w/ 80K

Motoretro

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
I was quoted $800 for Cam Belt w/ Water Pump,etc and $1400 for HG, both sides. $2200.00 total.
Subies are not cheap cars to own. :tissue: 2006 Forester w/ 80K

Motoretro

Why did you do your belt and water pump that early? Just cuz they were already doing the gaskets?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have not done them yet, just got a quote as I stated.....Why would I do it that early? both heads are seeping at 80K, actually started at 70K or earlier. Belt/pump,etc ? why not do them together since car will be in for the Belt/Pump,etc(105K) in little more than a year @ 20K a year.

Motoretro

Why did you do your belt and water pump that early? Just cuz they were already doing the gaskets?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd say 500 is a very good price depending on what they actually replace.

At the very least I'd do belt, tensioner, water pump, tstat. Then from there possibly cam+crank seals, idler pulleys.

Mine was about 1100$ for resealing the front of the engine, valve covers, all belts, tensioner, wp, tstat, spark plugs, STI uppipe etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts