Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live a good distance from a dealer and I just can never seem to get by one when in town. Is there any other options to be used as the radiator additive to help prevent head gasket leaks. A local Napa dealer recommended that I use "Napa Radiator Stop Leak", says that a local bus shop that had head gasket problems with leaks swore by it. If not I guess I should try to order it online or over the phone and pay shipping.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,800 Posts
Jackie at Annapolis Subaru (one of our supporting vendors) will be happy to sell it to you. Her price starts out really cheap, so you won't take too much of a hit in shipping costs.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Not sure if there is any substantial difference the Suby brand and the "leak stop" stuff.

I would order a couple extra bottles while you're at it. They are about $2.50 if I remember correctly.

Tiny bottle works miracles.

I wish I would have listened to the dealer when I did my first flush/fill.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
When adding the conditioner- do you need to carry out a flush or can you just add it to the reservoir?

I'm guessing you cant to the radiator as its already topped up with fluid to add anything extra to?

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
When adding the conditioner- do you need to carry out a flush or can you just add it to the reservoir?

I'm guessing you cant to the radiator as its already topped up with fluid to add anything extra to?
You must add it to the radiator. Just siphon a couple of ounces off of the top.

If the coolant is in there for 30K miles you should flush. How old is the vehicle, how long is the coolant in there, and does it now have the conditioner??

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
You must add it to the radiator. Just siphon a couple of ounces off of the top.

If the coolant is in there for 30K miles you should flush. How old is the vehicle, how long is the coolant in there, and does it now have the conditioner??
2004 SG non-turbo. Had to have a coolant replacement as the garage who carried out my cambelt change forgot to tighten the hose clip leading into the top of the radiator (coolant blew out everywhere).

Its had enough time to work out any airpockets though since the coolant was replaced. Can not see any evidence of split pipes or drip marks under the car.

So....to siphon- your not expecting me to suck it up in a tube are you?! :huh: :icon_wink: Also how much to add and do this when the car is stone-cold?

Thank you by the way :biggrin:

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
2004 SG non-turbo. Had to have a coolant replacement as the garage who carried out my cambelt change forgot to tighten the hose clip leading into the top of the radiator (coolant blew out everywhere).

Its had enough time to work out any airpockets though since the coolant was replaced. Can not see any evidence of split pipes or drip marks under the car.

So....to siphon- your not expecting me to suck it up in a tube are you?! :huh: :icon_wink: Also how much to add and do this when the car is stone-cold?

Thank you by the way :biggrin:
Use a cheap turkey baster with the squeeze bulb on it, or one of those old battery fillers with the bulb.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Perfect. Thank you. I was going to use kitchen towel to 'absorb' the liquid. Which would have been a long and wet/drippy experience.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
You could even use a "thumb over the end of the straw" method. Just drop it into a small container and eyeball when you have gotten enough out. It might take you 3 or 4 minutes, but it sure beats trying to syphoning with your mouth.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
oh my gosh there is a filter for the actual name of the valve at the bottom of the rad. I suppose I should have said "pet rooster"

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,800 Posts
It seems to work OK when the offender is part of a larger word.

petcock​

It used to even search inside words. My favorite was the word for one who specializes in something, which used to come out:

spe******t​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts