Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
2018 Forester base 6 speed
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in about 10 months I need to decide what to do here. My 2018 Forrester lease will be up, I really like my Forrester We do not drive a lot I will have about 9,000 miles on it when its time to make the decision. My residual is $14.750 then add tax and $2,600.00 to add Subaru care. The extended service plan will cover us for another 7 years/ or up to a total of 100.000 miles. So, in our case, it will be 7 more years. My first thought is I will never find another vehicle for a total of $18,000.00 and have under 10 grand in mileage. I have so far had "0" problems with our Forrester. NONE. It has been a comfortable great reliable vehicle. Also, our Forrester is a 6-speed manual which we like. I was told that Subaru care is just like a bumper to bumper warranty backed by Subaru. I hate car repairs and can afford the Subaru care, ( will have a "0" deductible ) and I was told it is virtually extending the manufactures warranty another 7 years. My local Subaru dealer told me this.

there is nothing else even close to the price of what I will have to pay to buy out my Subaru. I have a few months to go but we are highly considering keeping it and adding Subaru care
here is the info on the Subaru care>>>>> https://www.subaru.com/addedsecurity

what do you think??

Attachments

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,815 Posts
You're not locked into buying the Classic or Gold plan from the dealer where you leased the car. Shop around because $2600 is way too much! Check out this thread and see what others are paying:

BTW, I think you're very smart keeping your 2018.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not locked into buying the Classic or Gold plan from the dealer where you leased the car. Shop around because $2600 is way too much! Check out this thread and see what others are paying:

BTW, I think you're very smart keeping your 2018.

Thank You!! Perhaps I should move my thread there to get more answers?? FYI... I want the gold coverage and 0 deductable then I won't have any out of pocket expense BUT they are charging $2,495.00 for it, I checked the paperwork they gave me. Still pricy BUT a car repair can be even more costly!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wait a minute,
If you hesitate about the Subaru US or Subaru Care in Canada. This is fully understandable. I just got my new Forester XT 2015 for 17 grant. Big deal but those warranty are something like a Big 66% of gambling. We all know that the garage technician will change part that are something like half way in good condition. The CVT trans on my XT 2015 should be A zero maintenance for 200.000 KM. But one of my neighbor got his CVT starting to make a lot of weird noise at 190.000....just like that.
That been said, the owner change/switch his forester at the end. But he did not loose cash on extra warranty 4k$ and extra fee each inspections.... He took this money back for the other one. Also, try to rethink your decision like that, you can say no to the extra warranty and take this money for something else. It's not a big gamble. Nobody will be able to pin point the best decision for YOUR final choice. (DOT)
Sory for the bizzare writing, I am from Quebec. I imagine your not a French-speaker.
Drive safe, drive a Subaru
Subaru driver for 8 years.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
You do whatever you think will help you sleep at night.
However here's what my research found when I looked it up a few years back.

Extended warranty or Subaru Care or whatever the dealer calls is, is basically an extended warranty for the things in the car that will not break with normal use.
It will usually cover things like electronics, accessories, engine and transmission failures caused by non consumable parts. It will not cover maintenance items like brakes, lubricants, clutches, tires, cosmetic issues and normal wear and tear.

What I found is that statistically, you have about a 93% chance of never needing a repair of the type that is covered by the extended warranty.
Also statistically if you are unfortunate enough to suffer a failure covered by that warranty, you have a 66% chance that the cost of the repair will never exceed the amount you paid for the warranty itself. IE: Something that breaks that would have been covered by the extended warranty that will cost an excess of 2600$ is actually very rare.

Which statistically, gives you about a 97% chance of never completely recovering the investment you made into that warranty.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do whatever you think will help you sleep at night.
However here's what my research found when I looked it up a few years back.

Extended warranty or Subaru Care or whatever the dealer calls is, is basically an extended warranty for the things in the car that will not break with normal use.
It will usually cover things like electronics, accessories, engine and transmission failures caused by non consumable parts. It will not cover maintenance items like brakes, lubricants, clutches, tires, cosmetic issues and normal wear and tear.

What I found is that statistically, you have about a 93% chance of never needing a repair of the type that is covered by the extended warranty.
Also statistically if you are unfortunate enough to suffer a failure covered by that warranty, you have a 66% chance that the cost of the repair will never exceed the amount you paid for the warranty itself. IE: Something that breaks that would have been covered by the extended warranty that will cost an excess of 2600$ is actually very rare.

Which statistically, gives you about a 97% chance of never completely recovering the investment you made into that warranty.
Well, I plan on keeping the car 10 years or more, at my current rate of driving it, I will have about 35,000 miles at that time.BUT living here if Florida we use the a/c a lot and a repair of any sort for the a/c components will not be cheap. I know it is a gamble, BUT IF Subaru care is like the manufactures warranty I rather KNOW other than maintenance I won't get socked for a huge bill. If you look at the cost which at this time is $2,250.00, That breaks down to $320 a year and for me, I rather have the assurance of knowing it will be covered. It looks like Subaru care is a bit different than other extended warranties like endurance, Carchex and a few others, It looks like Subaru care is backed and underwritten by Subaru<<< Is that right???

I still think for me it is worth it IF I keep my Forrester. With now only 6,600 miles and 3/4 the way thru my lease I can't imagine finding a better vehicle for $18,000 including the Subaru care.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
If you have the money to pay for the extended warranty, put it in the bank and let it earn interest. Use it to pay for repairs if/when needed. Most likely, you will never need to spend it all, and if you do there will be more there than when you started.

Even better, extend this plan to everything you buy that offers an extended warranty. Buy a new TV, phone, refrigerator, add the cost of an extended warranty to your "repair account." By far the most likely outcome is that what you're really doing is creating a college fund or a retirement account, because odds are overwhelmingly in favor of you not needing it for repairs.

Insurance can exist at all because the odds are on their side. It's just gambling; the house always wins.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the money to pay for the extended warranty, put it in the bank and let it earn interest. Use it to pay for repairs if/when needed. Most likely, you will never need to spend it all, and if you do there will be more there than when you started.

Even better, extend this plan to everything you buy that offers an extended warranty. Buy a new TV, phone, refrigerator, add the cost of an extended warranty to your "repair account." By far the most likely outcome is that what you're really doing is creating a college fund or a retirement account, because odds are overwhelmingly in favor of you not needing it for repairs.

Insurance can exist at all because the odds are on their side. It's just gambling; the house always wins.

I agree with you on not putting warranties on "cheap items" like a tv set mobile phone ect... BUT these new cars can bankrupt you pretty fast. I just do not want to worry that my cv boots broke, radiator issue or some other repair that can cost. For 250 a year I feel it is worth it. Now to insure tv sets phones ect.. naaa those are cheap to replace but a 25,000 car... not so much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts