Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am contemplating buying my first Subaru Forester and have been doing some research on Subaru in general. I read online that there were some Forester models from 2010-2014 that the engine would burn a lot of oil and the owner would have to add oil regularly.

Does this still occur or has this been fixed? Or is this just the nature of the Subaru engines? I know all cars burn oil during use, some more than others. But seems like Subaru vehicles get the most press regarding this topic.

I really like the Subaru AWD system and the practicality of the Subaru. I'm also debating whether I should wait until the 2019 model comes out based on the rumored "redesign" of the car.

All opinions are appreciated.

Sincerely,
New Subaru Fan

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 cvt
184 Posts
I have not had any oil loss issues with my 17 2.5i with over 9000 miles. I also work with many people that have not had any oil consumption issues.

I'm sure you find a few people on this site that say they are having oil issues with 2016 and newer. I also hear just about every new BMW and Audi has oil loss issues.

Waiting for a 2019 ? Well, not a good idea to buy a first model year auto of any make or model. So, is it worth waiting until 2020. Probably not. And probably better buy a last year model knowing that it's been updated and improved over its cycle.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice on the 2019 model. I am leaning toward the 2017, but my dealer no longer has the color/trim I want, so looks like I will be shopping for a 2018 in a month or so. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2018 XT Touring CVT
1,294 Posts
Older Subarus also burn oil.

Although skipping the first year of a model change might make sense, there is no reason to wonder about the second.
The car either be a good car or crap, but not a mystery.
You will know about issues and whether they got fixed.
After the bug fixes in the second year, the following years add features, not reliability.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
93 Posts
Our 2011 just had the shortblock replaced and that appears to have fixed the oil consumption. I wouldn't worry too much about it just be aware that it could be an issue and allow Subaru to fix it if it is a problem.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
33 Posts
I have a 2017 Forester XT, with a little over 6000 miles . Has not used any oil at all, hope this help's on your decision.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,436 Posts
12K on mine and not a drop of oil lost so far. Very happy with this vehicle.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
To improve fuel economy Subaru reduced the ring friction on the newer FB engines. The result for some owners was what they considered an oil consumption issue (1 qt/1,000 miles). Subaru expanded warranty on some of the engines and replaced the short blocks under warranty. The result is lower oil consumption and lower fuel economy (increased friction). Using the 0W20 oil also likely contributed to oil consumption issues. The main problem is they didn't make the oil pan larger to increase oil quantity and some people that don't check their oil ran out of oil and damaged their engines.

I believe this was limited to the 11-14 MYs

·
Registered
2017 base model manual 6 speed
1,259 Posts
Hi,
Driving a 17' 6mt with a little over 7k miles on it and not a drop of oil missing from engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
3 Posts
2017 Forester Limited, 9,450 miles with no detectable oil consumption. Because I had the same concerns, I checked the oil level frequently. About every hundred miles up to 5K miles and now just at every fill-up. Happy owner here.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,436 Posts
Pushing 12K here and will have its second oil change and tire rotate done soon. I check it once a month when filling up for gas and no oil consumption here.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 Automatic
436 Posts
What would happen if you used 5W30 in a 2.5i engine?
Good question, and will find out when I do my first DIY oil change at 10,000 miles. First oil change/tire rotation was free at the dealer. Zero oil usage so far, just under 8000 miles. I love this car, in fact, the best car owned in my 60 years of driving. I know, I know, sounds like a broken record!:wink2:

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
24 Posts
'15 2.5 w/ 68,500 miles. Between oil changes the light will come on as much as 1500 miles before the sticker says it's time for a change, so I top it off. My dealer says this is normal for the 2.5. It never happened before about 40k miles.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
I believe the '11 to '14 MY FB engines had the oil consumption issue. Main thing is to CHECK THE OIL and add if needed. If you get a replacement short block under warranty the fuel mileage will decrease. A quart of oil every 3k is cheap compared to reduced MPG.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,034 Posts
'15 2.5 w/ 68,500 miles. Between oil changes the light will come on as much as 1500 miles before the sticker says it's time for a change, so I top it off. My dealer says this is normal for the 2.5. It never happened before about 40k miles.
That doesn't sound right for a '15. Suggest careful, weekly checking of your oil level and keeping a log until you know more.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,227 Posts
I’ve already posted this elsewhere. My wife’s 2015 2.5i Premium with a CVT is 3-years old this month and has around 27K-miles. The majority of her driving is local and I get the oil changed often because of this. I usually see little oil consumption. However, when she goes on longer trips, there is noticeable oil consumption. After her most recent trip of about 1,300-miles (I think) in May, the oil level went down about half an inch – it was already slightly overfilled by the dealer, like it always is.

Aside from some pet peeves, both of us absolutely love this car. It’s by far the nicest vehicle either of us has ever owned. However, if most the miles were highway miles, I think we would see a lot more oil consumption. Because of this, I’m not sure I’ll purchase another Subaru when it comes time to replace my old car. I was aware of the potential before we even bought the Forester, so I’ve been super-meticulous about all maintenance, esp. oil/filter changes, which I usually get about every 3,000-miles, and I check the oil 2-3 times a week.

This is all logged with the dealer. In fact, we’re near the end of an oil consumption test. But, most of the mileage since the last oil change has been local, so there really isn’t any/much oil loss. (Ironically, I just went to schedule an appointment with the dealer to finalize the oil consumption test, but apparently the local mechanics/technician union is on strike and the dealer’s service dept. is shut down!)

It’s really rather disappointing. Because I was aware of a potential oil problem, this is the first time I’ve ever purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle…just in case. Now I’m glad I did.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,024 Posts
It’s really rather disappointing. Because I was aware of a potential oil problem, this is the first time I’ve ever purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle…just in case. Now I’m glad I did.

Mike
It is disappointing.
I would definitely go with longer oil change intervals. Keep the oil level up near the top (at least halfway between the lines). The reason is that as old oil burns away, new oil replaces it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts