Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the dual roof bike racks for my 2009 Forester. They look great and went on nice, but the wind noise is unbearable!

I can hear the wind whipping and howling from 25-60 mph. Anything above 60 mph starts whistling and howling and makes driving with the sunroof open nearly impossible without earplugs.

I do have the subaru windbreaker plastic piece on, but it doesnt seem to do anything at all. I am shocked Subaru and Yakima didn't team up to make a fairing for these racks (the racks are made my Yakima) or offer some sort of solution for the noise.

Since the racks bolt on, they aren't exactly easy to throw on take off regularly, so I am not sure what the best answer is. I may even take them off completely.

I thought about the Subaru sunfroof deflector (i do have a sunroof), but it looks so big and ugly... not to mention, the top of the deflector sits below the racks, so I am not sure it would even be effective. Any ideas??

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Can you post a pic of your setup?

I have the 48" bars and a wider than stock fairing and it is great.

Also, you can purchase nylon windbreakers for the front wheel and handle bar that helps with noise as well.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I take it you have a yak rack? I ran into the same problem, received some great ideas, and ended up throwing on two yak Windjammers. I haven't had a problem with ANY wind noise ever since.

Maybe this will help-- http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/yakima-fairing-fitting-over-moonroof-70680/

Good luck!! :cool:

Interesting. Yes, I have the Subaru windjammer which came with the racks, but it does not seem to make much difference at all. I believe all the noise is coming from the rails themselves. I have attached a picture of the setup. Sorry for the poor quality... it was taken on a cell phone. You can see the windjammer with a "subaru" logo on it right in the middle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Interesting. Yes, I have the Subaru windjammer which came with the racks, but it does not seem to make much difference at all.
I need to clarify. Is it mainly whistling that you're getting or are you getting an "air-fan" noise that sounds like you've got all your windows rolled down? Or is it both?

Of course, the windjammer only prevents the whistling, which is the wind resonance coming from the bar itself. The "air-fan" noise is coming straight off your rack setup. You might be getting some whistling from the bars on the bike rack and/or bikes...I use the type of rack that holds the forks (gotta take off the wheel).

If you're getting all kinds of noise, you have to install a fairing. SubieOutlaw created his own fairing and doesn't seem to have any wind noise problems.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

I have the 48" bars and a wider than stock fairing and it is great.

Also, you can purchase nylon windbreakers for the front wheel and handle bar that helps with noise as well.
You may want to take a gander at his modding journal. Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to clarify. Is it mainly whistling that you're getting or are you getting an "air-fan" noise that sounds like you've got all your windows rolled down? Or is it both?
It is both. The wind noise (air-fan) and whistling both kick in around 20mph. I think I MAY have found the source of the whistling. There are end caps for the rails which have little holes in them. While driving with the sunroof open yesterday, I put my finger over the hole in the end cap and the whistling stopped, so I am going to try and tape over the holes to see if that makes any difference. The air-fan noise is constant.

Of course, the windjammer only prevents the whistling, which is the wind resonance coming from the bar itself. The "air-fan" noise is coming straight off your rack setup. You might be getting some whistling from the bars on the bike rack and/or bikes...I use the type of rack that holds the forks (gotta take off the wheel).

If you're getting all kinds of noise, you have to install a fairing. SubieOutlaw created his own fairing and doesn't seem to have any wind noise problems.

You may want to take a gander at his modding journal. Good luck! :cool:

Yes, I will have to check it out. The difference will be with my racks, which extend beyond the front of my aero bars, so the fairing would have to attache to the bike rack itself.

I also emailed SOA to see if they can recommend a solution for the noise. After spending $300+ of Subaru bike racks, I would expect better "everyday" performance.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
The Subaru thing looks useless. Sorry.

I bought a Yakima fairing that fits a Honda Odyssey. This width fits perfectly between the rails. I then applied a foam edge to either end so when the sun roof is open the fairing rests on the metal (left and right side of the sun roof) and NOT on the sun roof. It has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... and to add insult to injury, the rack part that swings up and attaches to the downtube of the bike rattles against the rail like crazy! On both racks!

At least THAT is an easy fix with some foam sticky pads :)

I will post back here when (if) I get a response from SOA.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Wish we coulda warned ya about the Subie racks. I think aftermarket is the way to go on this. A little too late for you tho.

I hope it works out.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
I got a pair of the racks but realized I couldn't use them because of height problems. I took a piece of computer cable velcro to tie down the part that clamps onto the downtube. Seems to work well.

I have no clue how it sounds at speeds > 40 yet. I'm looking to sell these on craigslist and get a pair of Yakima Fork Lift or Rocky Mounts Tie Rod's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts