Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe that Jeep has something like this, that came out a couple years ago. But it’s definitely not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Future 2022 Touring Owner (XT? 🤞)
182 Posts
Damn, I spent much of last night after work looking into the Maverick and I am REALLY considering it. I was targeting the 2022 Forester, but now I'm not sure. My ideal vehicle is a mid-size crossover truck that doesn't really exist right now, but this is getting pretty close to it. Still many downsides, but it is tempting.

Hopefully this leads Subaru to release a truck or two in the next 5 years or so. I would prefer an Ascent based mid-size, but I would also accept a Forester/Outback based compact that is comparable to the Maverick.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
For a car, a device designed for a purpose, "design beauty" and color choices aren't a primary consideration for me.
I happen to like the look of the Santa Cruz, but that isn't why I'd buy it.

Myself, in a vehicle, I prefer function to form and the Cruz would be better able to fit my needs.
There's lots of things I could (and did) do with my Bajas that I can't do with the Forester, and could do with the Cruz.
This is where you and a lot of the buying public differ - on things like looks and options and colors and equipment. If color and design were not important, we would not have Plum Crazy, Alien Green, Cyber Orange and whatever other colors are out there in the market for Subaru and so many other brands... Or even 3 shades of gray available on a single model (like that new Maverick)... We also wouldn't see changes in available colors (even slight variations - like from Marine Blue Pearl to Quartz Blue) every few years... Hell, back in the 50s and 60s, you had yearly changes for many brands and models in color, bumpers, lighting arrangements, grills and so on... It kept some people trading in every year or two for the latest look. When fins came along, they started small and grew and grew until the ultimate were about 2 feet high... and the same with wings later on...

Just like potential mates, we're often first pulled in by a look and then come to realize (in some cases) that beauty is only skin deep and there needs to be other reasons to stay with that mate... You don't know if she (or he) is a good housekeeper or cook or great in the sack or whatever when you first catch eyes across the crowded room.

With vehicles, for the most part, it's the same thing. It's a look or a style that gets you to at least consider brand X or brand Y. Personally, I just don't like the design language on the new and future Hyundai models, nor the look on the Kia models, either. I tend to be a bit more conservative in my automotive styling - I want something that will look good AND still look current in 4 years or even 8 years... Look at the RAV4 for example. It was an all new style in 2012 (depending on world market) and then drastically changed just a few years later when the current generation debuted. They made a styling change from the 3rd generation RAV to the 4th generation and then another big style change to the 5th generation (current)... But the 1st through 3rd generations had a similar look and an evolutionary change rather than a big revolutionary change.

And yes, I agree that there are a lot of things that are good (and not so good) for a Baja or the Santa Cruz or any other mini-truck.

And not at all impressed with the Maverick, then or now...

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
@zachavm - I'm guessing the Honda Ridgeline doesn't qualify as "mid-sized crossover truck" for you? As it's not much more than the Honda Pilot with a roof-reduction surgery (yes, I know it's more than that) and the Pilot is more-or-less direct competition to the Ascent, I would think that would qualify?

·
Registered
182 Posts
@FozzieBalou Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up. Honestly it is pretty damn close to what I'm looking for, but it is also higher priced than I would prefer to spend right now. I know an Ascent based truck would be just as expensive, but if it existed right now it wouldn't be in my price range either. I expect I'll be up to that price range for my following purchase 5 years from now or so. Thus I'm hoping by the time that happens Subaru has an Ascent based truck. Hopefully based on gen 2.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,542 Posts
OK. Yeah, because the Ascent and Pilot are within a few inches of each other in pretty much every dimension inside and out.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,351 Posts
This is where you and a lot of the buying public differ - on things like looks and options and colors and equipment. If color and design were not important...
I don't disagree, but for the record, what I said was "design beauty" and color choices aren't a primary consideration for me.
Not that these are irrelevant. It doesn't matter how beautiful a vehicle is if it won't do what you need it for.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so the same vehicle can be abominable to one person and be the best looking ever to another.

... And yes, I agree that there are a lot of things that are good (and not so good) for a Baja or the Santa Cruz or any other mini-truck.
Also true. There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, let alone a perfect car for everyone.
Every vehicle (and pretty much all man-made objects) are a compromise, despite Lexus ads. ;)

Having a truck bed means less passenger space. Having all seating means no open cargo area.
Many people who drive trucks of any size are just towing an empty bed around.
I've owned several trucks, but it was seldom that I actually needed the entire truck bed, but many times when I was hit with the passenger limitation.

When I went from a Baja to a Forester (or two, actually) it was for the AWD, but I really miss the utility of being able to haul around large or tall or smelly objects without hooking up a trailer or offending my olfactory system. So for me, the Baja was a much better vehicle than my Foz, as it was more versatile.

With demographics in the US changing to fewer kids, a truckette may well address the design compromise more favorably to a larger population segment than when the Baja was introduced, so I may be more mainstream in regards to vehicle needs. At least that is what the Santa Cruz makers believe.

And not at all impressed with the Maverick, then or now...
I'm with you there. It's just a smaller truck, and not a Baja or a Cruz.

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,832 Posts
Last chance....

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
185 Posts
Damn, I spent much of last night after work looking into the Maverick and I am REALLY considering it. I was targeting the 2022 Forester, but now I'm not sure. My ideal vehicle is a mid-size crossover truck that doesn't really exist right now, but this is getting pretty close to it. Still many downsides, but it is tempting.

Hopefully this leads Subaru to release a truck or two in the next 5 years or so. I would prefer an Ascent based mid-size, but I would also accept a Forester/Outback based compact that is comparable to the Maverick.
If you are not set on a brand new vehicle, then how about a 2001 to 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with 4WD? A big brother of a Subaru Baja.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
538 Posts
When I went from a Baja to a Forester (or two, actually) it was for the AWD, but I really miss the utility of being able to haul around large or tall or smelly objects without hooking up a trailer or offending my olfactory system. So for me, the Baja was a much better vehicle than my Foz, as it was more versatile.
If Subaru brought the Baja back I’d seriously consider it. I rarely have backseat passengers and being able to haul tall stuff (like rental tillers) would be awesome. Someone mentioned having cargo under cover, I’d expect that some sort of tonneau cover would be available.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
218 Posts
Given the insatiable appetite the U.S. has for trucks (and nostalgia) do you think an updated Baja would sell well today?
A pickup truck version with a USABLE bed yes..the Baja..no thanks no interest..cant use that bed for anything. and it doesnt need to be a full size truck or some exiended bed truck something like the old Chevy S10 and Ford Ranger or the Ridgeline size bed would be fine..the newer Colorado and even Ranger are substantially bigger trucks than the old smaller pickups they replaced..so toss a "rela/usable" bed on one and id love it..throw the Old useless baja bed on it and no thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
218 Posts
Two words - FRAME RUST.
True enough I just got through taking a 2017 Tacoma in for "warranty work" the other day when I brought it back I looked at the paperwork and it was for some rust/warranty issue where they put in some plugs9frame plugs or holes or some such and inspect frame for rust...and this was a 2017 I believe that was getting sent to auction anyways..Loved the truck BTW and if it didnt have 70K miles on it id buy it lol.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
93 Posts
Rust is no such thing in Los Angeles.
Unless it spent its life more than five miles from the beach I wouldn't trust a late '90s/early '00s Tacoma from SoCal either. Salt air was enough to start those frame rails rusting. They received little or no rustproofing. It cost Toyota billions.

It was a real shame. Those early Tacomas were otherwise built in the Hilux tradition....unkillable.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
If they did, I'd buy one for my pops. He's always wanted one. I have no luck finding a decent used one.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,351 Posts
If Subaru brought the Baja back I’d seriously consider it. I rarely have backseat passengers and being able to haul tall stuff (like rental tillers) would be awesome. Someone mentioned having cargo under cover, I’d expect that some sort of tonneau cover would be available.
I don't have backseat passengers either, but the Baja could fit four comfortably.
One feature I really liked was the pass through cargo door, which allowed me to carry up to 75 2X4X8's with room left over in the bed.
4X8 plywood did just fine on a slant.
Major appliances were no problem. It did everything my 4X4 truck did with a lot better ride, mpg's and AWD.
Hardly an "unusable" bed.
With a couple of cushions, it made a nice outdoor perch for watching fireworks.
I really miss mine and would still be driving it if it weren't for an idiot running into it during a heavy snowstorm.

It had incredible resale value though, and I also got to keep the tonneau cover because it wasn't part of the original equipment.
It was a two piece that worked well and could lock and would fit flat in the bed when hauling big/tall stuff.
I haven't found a used Baja either, so I should probably sell it to someone who has one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A pickup truck version with a USABLE bed yes..the Baja..no thanks no interest..cant use that bed for anything. and it doesnt need to be a full size truck or some exiended bed truck something like the old Chevy S10 and Ford Ranger or the Ridgeline size bed would be fine..the newer Colorado and even Ranger are substantially bigger trucks than the old smaller pickups they replaced..so toss a "rela/usable" bed on one and id love it..throw the Old useless baja bed on it and no thanks.
Yeah, I agree. I think the new small trucks in the Maverick and Santa Cruz are as small as it should get. the baja is cool, but I can't see ever wanting a truck like that. Too short and car like and not enough space in the bed.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts