Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the insatiable appetite the U.S. has for trucks (and nostalgia) do you think an updated Baja would sell well today?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,672 Posts
Since every other manufacturer has abandoned the small pickup market perhaps Subaru would do well with a Baja-size pickup.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
176 Posts
Given the insatiable appetite the U.S. has for trucks (and nostalgia) do you think an updated Baja would sell well today?
I dont know but at the dealership I hear talk of Subaru actively looking to field a truck based somewhat off the Ascent platform. And they were acting like sometime soon(next year or 2...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
A Baja XT (Turbo with SG XT performance figures) might just be enough to make me swap from my Forester.....Maybe.......

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
85 Posts
Another baja, or similar vehicle from subaru would absolutely sell. Good gas mileage with good off road capabilities and a small truck bed, no question about it. Look at the amount of Honda ridgeline on the road. Subaru would take half if not more of those costumers, some for the ranger, Colorado etc. I would strongly consider trading the forester for one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Vehicles like the Baja serve no purpose. They are not pickups, and not SUVs. The bed is not big enough to be useful and it takes up much room from the interior. If sales justified such vehicles they would still be sold. Other than people who want to be "cool" I suspect there is little market for an updated Baja. Possibly, if Subaru made a "real" small pickup (I understand that Ford is going to have one, the Maverick, in the '22 MY line) there might be a place for it. For me though, it would have to have something other than a CVT or I would not buy.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,280 Posts
As far as would it sell... It's a matter of opinion, and the opinions that matter are that of the marketing and sales departments at FHI to build it.
Or not.

I've owned two Bajas and if Subaru brought it back today, I'd be buying one tomorrow when the dealership opened..
For me the car was perfect, not just because it was "cool", (and it was cool) :cool: but because it was extremely versatile and economical.

I could (and did) haul an incredible amount of stuff, including 10' long steel pipe for solar array masts, so to say it isn't useful is uninformed.
It did everything I needed it to do, and it did it better than the 4WD pickup that the first Baja replaced.

I would still be driving the second Baja if not for the azz-hat in a BMW driving too fast in the snow who ran into and totaled it.

So to answer your question huja -
Yes, I think an updated Baja would sell as would the same model if reintroduced.
Take a look at the premium prices a Baja demands compared to a Foz of the same year.
There is already demand, just not a supply.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,110 Posts
If sales justified such vehicles they would still be sold.
For Subaru, this is the beginning and end of the discussion. Is it worth having a production line, parts, engineering support, capital employed for inventory, etc? Evidently they don't think so.

And for the record, yeah, I like 'em, too.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,280 Posts
Subaru didn't support the Baja with advertising after its launch, and I think initial sales were slow, so perhaps they thought that would continue.

Bajas never remained parked at a dealer lot more than a few days and several dealers I spoke to confirmed if I wanted one, I'd have to order it.
That's how I got my first one.
The second was at the end of the model run, and I was in the right place at the right time and traded in one for the other.

Both of the last Bajas that the dealer had were gone the day after they arrived. My trade was sold the day they put it back on the lot.

As to why Subaru dropped it, I think it was a victim of the shift towards safe grocery getters, and the style didn't reflect that.
I can tell you that everyone who had one whom I talked to loved the car. Including me.

·
Registered
2003 Baja, 2006 Baja, 2008 Impreza
121 Posts
Another baja, or similar vehicle from subaru would absolutely sell. Good gas mileage with good off road capabilities and a small truck bed, no question about it. Look at the amount of Honda ridgeline on the road. Subaru would take half if not more of those costumers, some for the ranger, Colorado etc. I would strongly consider trading the forester for one.
I am constantly asked if I want to sell mine. I say keep looking, they're out there/

·
Registered
2003 Baja, 2006 Baja, 2008 Impreza
121 Posts
Vehicles like the Baja serve no purpose. They are not pickups, and not SUVs. The bed is not big enough to be useful and it takes up much room from the interior. If sales justified such vehicles they would still be sold. Other than people who want to be "cool" I suspect there is little market for an updated Baja. Possibly, if Subaru made a "real" small pickup (I understand that Ford is going to have one, the Maverick, in the '22 MY line) there might be a place for it. For me though, it would have to have something other than a CVT or I would not buy.
Beg to differ with you. Just finished installing a large hot water heater. Hauled home from Home Depot. Have hauled also a fridge, a washer / dryer. They have a bed extender for when the tailgate is down. Granted, it'd be better with a 6' bed but I enjoy mine. https://flic.kr/p/EPiEZ7 from atop of Pikes Peak on my way to family in MT, I live outside Philly.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
17 Posts
I think a Subaru truck would find a place in the market. I currently drIve a Frontier and as I age I find fewer needs for a mid sized pickup, but still want an open bed for yard waste, stinky trash, and hauling bulky things that won’t fit in a hatchback. Subaru’s reliable AWD would be attractive. Perhaps beef up the tires and suspension to emphasize off-road capabilities and size it just under the current mid size pickups on the market. Give it power to tow smaller boats or campers. Might actually create a “new” market slot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts