Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
299 Posts
Interesting. It did not state whether this was on cars for the Japanese market or for export which is an important data point. Also curious what prompted this disclosure. Japanese version of industrial #metoo ?

Taking shortcuts on the production line like the article describes is a scary proposition, but its hardly a major concern. At least for me, not living in San Fran, the parking brake isnt the most important feature on the car it can be a little looser than spec.

I would rather have a car built by Japanese minds and hands, with some shortcuts on quality control; than I would a GM built by Americans who drink and smoke doobies on their lunch break... and dont get fired but protected by their union....

Not like there are welds missing (new Ascent) and they covered that kind of issue up for decades

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2,213 Posts
From Wikipedia:

“Subaru is distinct from many of its Japanese competitors in that as of early 2016 it still made almost 75% of its cars sold internationally in Japan.[26] Subaru's facilities designated to automotive manufacturing are located in Ōta, Gunma Prefecture, consisting of four locations. Subaru-chō is where the Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 is built, having been re-purposed from kei car production, Yajima Plant is where all current Subaru cars are built, Otakita Plant is where commercial kei trucks are built (originally a factory location of Nakajima Aircraft Company), and Oizumi Plant in Oizumi, Gunma Prefecture, is where engines and transmissions are built.”

According to the date in the text above, this info is roughly 2 years old.

From the linked article:

“The report found irregularities at Subaru's Gunma Manufacturing Division in Ota, Gunma Prefecture. In particular, the data falsification occurred for the testing of all cars assembled at the Gunma plant, which is the only domestic facility to produce road-ready cars.”

So, it’s not totally clear if the problem is tied to a single plant location, or all of them located at Gunma.

From my perspective, I would tend to rely more on how the Insurance industry rates a vehicle model line, rather than manufacturer claims. The insurance business bases its ratings on how the vehicles actually perform in everyday usage.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,512 Posts
So does this mean we pay more for car insurance? I would imagine new data that says our vehicles are less safe must be an insurance liability to some sort of degree.
Insurance rates are based on real-world data, not stuff like this. Subaru's statistical performance over the years in terms of cost of repair and protecting occupants from injury is what determines the risk an insurance company will take.

Of course, the car itself is far less important than the demographic data -- your age, gender, marital status, credit rating, zip code, driving record, and how much you like beer -- in determining insurance rates.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,503 Posts
I am think along the lines of rd. Subaru was an innovator of safety standards since the 50's. Results are what matters. I believe the small overlap test was championed by Subaru and lead to adding that crash test (I could be wrong) But all their cars passed the first time. Coincidence?- I think not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.