Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who works for ODOT ( Oregon Department of Transportation) and operates a sander/plow in winters over the Siskiyou Summit on I5 in southern Oregon. I asked him several years ago which vehicles have the most issues every winter when crossing the highest pass on I5. There was no hesitation in his response, " Old men driving 4X4 pickups and Subaru owners". Well I'm an old man who sold his 4X4 pickup and bought a Forester but understand that tires, conditions and common sense play the biggest role in bad weather driving. The common reply from the old men was they have been driving this way for years and never had a problem. The Subaru drivers stated the they were under the impression that Subarus will go anywhere under any condition! Advertising is a two edged sword.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic 4sp
51 Posts
Well it is not all about the car. The driver paly a big part too.
I have been driving for 30 years. The last 10 in the Forester. Although my driving is mostly normal city streets I do not get stuck because I use my brains and my skills to avoid getting in situations that will get my stuck.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited Auto
14 Posts
Not surprised. Have seen many a Subie on the side of the road, ditched, or worse, in inclement driving conditions on Mt. Hood. Subaru's capabilities are lost on those that have no idea how to drive in adverse conditions.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
747 Posts
If Subaru really cares about winter/wet driving safety all they need to do is to put better stock tires. Many years ago in Europe, Mercedes GLK had stock Michelin Crossclimate + tires (real all weather tires). I understand that all weather tires are rare and expensive in US but I think that is by far the best safety "upgrade" for compact SUV's intended purpose. Retail price of stock tires is actually comparable to all weather tires but obviously manufacturers get it for much lower. I will gladly pay their price difference (and them some to make them happy) and I will try to negotiate it for my new vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got rid of the stock tires on my 2018 Touring at 7000 miles and went with 17" Conti Terrain Contacts on Crosstrek wheels. Much better overall and not near as squirrely in the pouring rain.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
544 Posts
That makes sense. I see people pushing the boundaries weekly. There is a time to slow down and there is a time not to go.

Took a bunch of years to learn.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,411 Posts
If Subaru really cares about winter/wet driving safety all they need to do is to put better stock tires. Many years ago in Europe, Mercedes GLK had stock Michelin Crossclimate + tires (real all weather tires). I understand that all weather tires are rare and expensive in US but I think that is by far the best safety "upgrade" for compact SUV's intended purpose. Retail price of stock tires is actually comparable to all weather tires but obviously manufacturers get it for much lower. I will gladly pay their price difference (and them some to make them happy) and I will try to negotiate it for my new vehicle.
The tires are fine in the rain and adequate in the snow. More aggressive tires reduce gas mileage and generally are not as good on the highway. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
747 Posts
@adc
I agree that stock tires are good for fuel economy and other manufacturers do the same. But with few MPGs less (which I can definitely confirm), Michelin Crossclimate SUV are way better even in dry/wet (they are comparable to good summer tires) with snow/ice performance of budget winter tire. I was impressed the most with performance in crosswinds and deep water, definitely much safer for average driver then stock. Other all weather tires offer similar improvements across the board and some are better in winter applications. It clearly shows that Subaru (and its average customer) priorities fuel economy vs safety). It is shame since Subaru offers great AWD hardware that just needs better stock tires to be really the safest choice in NE, NW and Midwest.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
408 Posts
Driving in any challenging condition is eased with practice, just like any endeavor. When there is glare ice or snow I am out practicing. That is the way I taught my kids to drive too. When everyone is staying inside warm, we are out driving. It is because of this practice, and proper vehicle prep, and now snow certified tires, blizzard conditions become fun. Any fool can stab a throttle, buy a 4X4 and expect it to do the driving, or rely on vehicle electronic aids. Preparation and practice for snow, floods and off-road, two wheels or four, will reward a driver with safely arriving at the desired destination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts