Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving home from work a little early yesterday and was taking the scenic route home. I ended up on a season road that was a "shortcut" between two others. I made about 1/2 mile when I started to think....can I get out if I get myself out if I get stuck? Nope, so I opted to back out (hindsite being 20/20, I should have simply turned around..). So I backed up about 2/3 the way, then miscalculated a slight bend in the road and felt the wheels start to spin, then nothing. THen I felt that horrible sensation where you feel the car drop. I was up on a crusted over snow drift and fell through until the bottom of the car was floating on the drift and the wheels were not engaging enough.

Thanks to technology, I call the insurance company, they call the wrecker who comes out with a long 6x4 flatbed and he pulls me out. No damage except for pride.

Still not bad considering this was the 1st time I got this car stuck in almost 9 years of ownership.

Always, funny when you ask yourself what you could have used to get out, straps, winch, chains, etc....A front mounted winch would have been the only thing to pull me out on my own. Common sense would have kept me from getting in trouble altogether, guess I was running a bit short yesterday!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
HAH! I had an unfortunate experience with a ditch, too! Although in that case I was trying to turn around by backing into a driveway with a steep drop on either side of it, instead of simply driving like a kilometer up the road to turn around at the intersection. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,113 Posts
We beached a Ford Ranger once on a seasonal use road in Franklin County (early spring, bunch of snow in a low spot). Shovel and hand axe to cut down pine boughs got us out. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
The best off-road car you can imagine (i.e. with reduction, with lockable central differential or even with lockable differentials for the front axle and the rear axle) will get stuck, if the underfloor grounds somewhere hard on the ground and the wheels don't have enough grip to the ground.

Own experience with our Lada Niva in our hunting area.
The Lada Niva has a connectible reduction and a connectible lockable central differential.
And also own experience with my previous Forester 2007, when the Forester slipped inclined into a trench (happened by inattention when I watched a roe buck while driving on a forest way :icon_redface:) - similar situation as the OP described.
As already said, in such cases helps perhaps another AWD car, for sure a winch or a farm tractor with AWD.
Therefore to Javan: Don't be disappointed about your Forester because of your "getting stuck" event.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts