Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO....

I am reading everywhere here in Calgary that you cannot wash your cars in your driveway or street using soap..even Biodegradable soap. The ByLaw prohibits any type of waste or detergents to enter the storm drains.

And I hear that automated car washes are very harmful to your car. So what do I do? I have washed and detailed my car once (at a friends underground car wash bay in her condo parking garage) and can't keep going there. Also, I love being able to spend a few hours on a Sunday and pamper the ride. You know what I'm talking about.

The old days of washing your car at home is gone. Even that Subaru commercial with those Sumo wrestlers is probably breaking some sort of Bylaw.... well... that and because it's 8 MASSIVE men washing a car in diapers... there's got to be a law against that too!?

Don't think I'm allowed to use the waterless car wash product either. So much for living in the "wild west". I lived in Toronto all my life and this was never a problem? Soap down the sewer was never an issue...I think I even remember seeing people taking a dump right into the sewer.

Sad. :icon_sad:

D.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
That sucks.

One of my favorite things to do since before I could drive is to spend a lazy day washing vehicles by hand.

Sorry I dont have any advice to offer, just wanted you to know I feel your sadness:icon_frown:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Gotta love your friendly environ-MENTALISTS. What's even scarier is how they can get this ridiculous stuff passed as a law (primarily the part of not being able to use biodegradable car washes.......and leaves? Really??). The common sense stuff like oil, gas, antifreeze, etc. is all pretty self explanatory not to drain, but still. Leaves?

Not to mention, why doesn't their storm drains ALL go to the water-treatment plant? All the road grime and oil on the road is washed into the storm drains when it rains, so why not treat all the water? Seems like a bit of an infrastructure problem they need to address, not mask it behind a new ordinance.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
It also said DIRT should not enter the storm drain.. lol.
"Use water only and ensure that dirt or oil from your car does not get washed down the storm drain. " I get the oil, but dirt?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
If I was in your situation I would cheat with a cap full of some Klasse AIO added to each gallon of water. It is a petroleum based product but will not foam and a cap full per gallon mixed well should hardly be noticeable to anyone spying on you.

I have not personally tried this but I had read it on one of the detailing forums and do use the Klasse so you may want to give it a try. I use Klasse AIO on everything on my vehicle, it's good stuff and if your car isn't filthy it will likely do the job just fine, good luck and post back what you decide to do because I'm sure a few others will be in a similar situation before too long.

Amazon.com: Klasse All In One 33 oz.: Automotive

Also you may have a look at this but I am not sure if it will foam or not and give those guys a call, they ar helpful and intelligent and I would bet they have the solution for you.

<font color="red">NEW FORMULA</font><br> Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) 8oz

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
wash it on the grass. The law says nothing about runoff from washing your car on your yard, "wash your car in the driveway or street".

All of our vehicles are get pulled onto our front yard for their washings(cleans the car, then waters the grass). Never had an issue with dead spots in the yard where they get washed. Been doing it like that for 15 years now, since the mud truck days.

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
wash it on the grass. The law says nothing about runoff from washing your car on your yard, "wash your car in the driveway or street".

All of our vehicles are get pulled onto our front yard for their washings(cleans the car, then waters the grass). Never had an issue with dead spots in the yard where they get washed. Been doing it like that for 15 years now, since the mud truck days.
Brilliant idea, I say!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it's anything like Montreal they probably have one inspector for the entire city. (we don't have the no washing your car law but we have certain days to water your grass and my neighbor waters her grass each day for years and never got caught yet)
I say wash it and enjoy and unless one of your neighbors calls the cops on you you should be fine. What inspector is coming out on a Sunday anyway. Find out what the ticket is and if you are willing to pay it if you get caught do it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Damn...I thought CA and MA had the nuttiest bylaws...you guys are giving us a run for our money! The kookiest part of it is that, if you DO wash your car in driveway w/soap, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to report it! :crazy: Methinks George Orwell has been one-upped here. Anyone washing their car at night up there???
Steve
09 2.5X AT
p.s. Seriously, I'd wash w/water only or take the suggestion of washing on the lawn.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Damn...I thought CA and MA had the nuttiest bylaws...you guys are giving us a run for our money! The kookiest part of it is that, if you DO wash your car in driveway w/soap, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to report it! :crazy: Methinks George Orwell has been one-upped here. Anyone washing their car at night up there???
Steve
09 2.5X AT
p.s. Seriously, I'd wash w/water only or take the suggestion of washing on the lawn.
I'm sure there will be a bylaw they'll start enforcing:crazy: about parking on a lawn, no matter of the time limit involved.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts

We have similar laws around here. They ask that you wash your car at a DIY care wash place or wash your car on the grass. I ALWAYS pull into my front or backyard when wshing my cars. Infact I did I washed both today in the backyard. It helps keep the grass green and it filters all the dirt, soap and oils.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What I decided to do...

So after doing all my research I have decided to order the Optimum No Rinse.

It should get my car clean enough before doing the clay bar (you can still use ONR for this) then stick with the same polish and wax.

We'll see how it works. Maybe I'll post my results when I get it.

Unfortunately, I live in an area where there is no grass in front of my home to park on. In the meantime, I may wash the car using a 2 bucket method, one with some biodegradable soap and the other with plain water. Then, I will lather up the car in only small sections and then rinse it off with a separate wash mitt with plain water ensuring none of the soap hits the ground. After, I will dispose of the dirty water down the toilet. That should be ok. It will only suck if my neighbors call on me even if I don't drop any soap on the ground.... No one is that much of a [email protected]@ to call the bylaw police on me I hope.

I guess the other thing to consider is that Calgary is located by the famous "Bow River" which is probably one of the top 10 trout fishing rivers in the world. I would hate to catch a fish with wings, a foot, 4 eyes and balls. Maybe this is why we have such strict laws. I also read that it's like this in the Baltimore area because of the Chesapeke Bay and those awesome blue crabs.... Mmmmmmm..... blue crab cake.

I ordered from a site called carcaresmart.com with the lowest price with shipping for Canada:

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine 946ml: CarCareSmart.com Canada: Premium Car Care and Detailing Products

I want to make it look like this again....

Wash me luck.

D.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What about the do-it-yourself car wash bays?
Yeah, I looked into this as well but if you are like me you don't want to be rushed when you pamper the ride. Last thing I need is for some loser to park his car in front waiting for me to finish... just as I'm starting to wash the first wheel.

D.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll love ONR. After I started using it I probably do a two bucket shampoo wash no more than 2 or 3 times a year, using ONR about once a week. I use it with a microfibre chenille mitt, and dry with a waffle weave sprayed liberally with Optimum Instant Detailer, diluted 1:4. On a nicely waxed surface it leaves behind a great glossy slickness. When you're finished, just dispose of the leftover ONR into a sink or toilet instead of the storm drain, and no one will have cause to complain.

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Totally off topic but... your car is gorgeous. If I were to buy an SH Forester, your is EVERYTHING I want down to the color :) Hope you get it squeeky clean again. Im curious to see how that cleaner works for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts