Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on removing stubborn rear diff drain and fill plugs???? Tried PB Blaster and a long bar, turning and twisting whole diff, but no movement on the plugs.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
187 Posts
I used a long bar with a pipe on the end (maybe a total of 3 ft) and a whole lot of force to remove mine. Sounds to me like you're on the right track with what you're doing.

I can't find it right now, but I think there's a thread on here (here it is: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/stuck-rear-diff-filler-drain-plug-38690/) where someone mentions using a jack to slowly apply increasing force on the end of the bar. Also someone has mentioned to try tightening them first and it might break them loose. Sometimes the sharp impact of a hammer on the bar will break things loose, but I realize there's not a whole lot of room under there to swing one effectively.

Just a couple things to consider:

1. Are you turning them counterclockwise? (I know, it sounds stupid, but I've done it before)

2. Make sure you undo the top plug first no matter what...don't want to have the diff drained and no way to refill.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I have found a mixture of the previous post's ideas work. Use a jack or a friend to put pressure on the plug. I use a breaker bar and a pole. With steady pressure on the plug, hit the breaker bar on the head like you are trying to hammer the plug into the hole. Sometimes just tightening it first works too.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Create your own impact gun by hitting the breaker bar with a hammer. The added force may help break things loose.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Use some heat!

i tried all the above. I used a torch for maybe 20 seconds and the bolt turned with a normal ratchet.

note: don't hold the heat in 1 place for 20 seconds, move it around. Heat the bolt, and the bolt edges not the diff.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,503 Posts
OP hasn't posted for 11 days...could someone see if he is trapped under the car?? ;) You can get better leverage by running the rear up on ramps

·
Registered
2000 Forester 5MT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gee-forgot to post back! So, I got the plug out by rolling the rear wheels up on a few pieces of 2x6 just to get a few inches higher. Sprayed the plug with PB Blaster, put a breaker bar on it, and used a jack to move the bar. It still took a lot of force. But it worked well. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts