Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strut tower bar for the FXT - sway bars

I've always installed strut tower bars in my former cars because they really help with a little spirited driving. But when I installed one in my impreza 2.5ts wagon (even though others said not to), I didn't feel any difference with it on.

So I'm wondering, is it the same for Foresters? Or is different since the Forester sits higher than the Impreza's. And if they are useful, are there ones that are highly recommended (good bang for the buck)?

·
Registered
2005 X
250 Posts
For the most part, I think it's because on a Suby, the front strut tower mounts are closer to the fire wall, so there's less body flex than on other cars. Still looks cool though, huh? I ran 'em front and rear on my WRX wagon.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
You'd be better putting the money into better front/rear sway bars and end links than the strut tower brace IMO.

·
Registered
2006 forester xt 5speed
836 Posts
yea go with sway bars or springs first

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
but for the price of some of these strut tower braces on ebay, you can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
the rear strut bar has the most effect on handling. like the others said, id put the money towards sways instead. any vendor will do, i like the perrin or whitelines.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry 'bout the newbie questions.
What's size sway bars (front and rear) should I get that has a good balance of comfort (child in car/commute) and "sportiness"?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
17 Posts
I just installed the Perrin front strut bar on my '10 FXT. Not much difference yet. Also, the plastic engine cover is rubbing on the bar. I will be installing sway bars in the future.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
22 front, stock sti bar in the rear. dont forget rear endlinks and lateral link tab supports!
Thanks. That's similar to what I'm thinking (after some reading), 22mm front and 19mm rear. I did read somewhere (Scoobymods?) about someone installing the Eibach front and rear sway bar set. They were both 25mm.

Anyone here have an opinion on the Eibachs?

Also, I have been unable to find the sway bars for the FXT. Are the Foz sway bars and endlinks the same as the Impreza's/WRX?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts