Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! The time has come for my '98 SF to have all 4 struts replaced. Because this is an expensive "repair", I am looking for the most affordable solution. I have been contemplating purchasing KYB GR2 struts. (A brand new set can be had on eBay for $294) However, I have been recieving mixed reviews about the GR2 solution.

A friend of mine (who's life revolves around SVX's :p) told me that I should go with the GR2's. On the other hand, the mechanic where I work told me that he would not install the GR2's for me because they're not "the same." This, of course, made me ask my SVX friend for a second time, and he said that was false because KYB makes Subaru's stock struts...for which I have a quote of $540 per set from my local dealer, which seems quite expensive.

At this point, I am almost ready to purchase the GR2's and have them installed elsewhere, besides by my co-worker. The only downside is that the installation would still be expensive. I'm going to get a few quotes on just installation.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, advice, or additional info, I'd love to hear it! Thanks so much!

·
Administrator
14,846 Posts
I recently replaced all my struts (MY'03) with KYB Excel-G (same as GR2 in USA) and I'm very happy with them. This included replacing the self-levelling rear struts and fitting +32% rated rear springs .

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Forester9886, you should be fine installing the GR2s on your car. Listen to your buddy who cares not your mechanic whom only care what is in your wallet. The mechanic may just be feeling uncomfortable about installing the GR2s because it's aftermarket. I have been using the GR2s for about 3 months now and love it! However, I am using the WRX GR2 applications instead of the Forester. I bought mine off ebay for $225 shipped brand new. The GR2s are roughly 15% stiffer than the stock struts and they look good too. Added bling! :)

I do not know your skill level with working on cars but I am a DIY person for most things. I have done a few springs/struts installation and it is by no means difficult. It is tedious work though. I have done an install myself in roughly 6 hours and with a second set of hands in 3-4 hours (going at a careful pace). I suggest contacting a local subie owner on the forum here or on www.nasioc.com for help. They are always willing to get dirty. Most local shop around here charge $500+ for spring/strut installation too which I think is rediculous.

Check this link out for installation. The link is a writeup of installation for aftermarket springs but you'll get the idea.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for all that information. You're right, the mechanic who said he wouldn't install them did mention that they're aftermarket. He said he'd installed some GR2's for someone once, and he wasn't comfortable with the installation, but he went through with it because they were paying, etc. The best part about him doing them for me is that we'd work something out, since we work together, etc.

As for my skill level, :-( I've done some things...but nothing major. I'm assuming with a knowledgeable person close-by, I'd be ok with doing suspension work. Otherwise, I don't feel confident that I'd be successful at completing the installation. I'll have to do some research on some locals ;-)

Thanks again so much! :-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts