Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have heard teh life span of struts is about 100K , I have about 110K . It feels like it bottoms out a bit hitting bumps and railroad tracks . I got the car wit about 95K on it so I really have no idea what it feels like with proper working struts to compare to.

My understanding is also that KYB gr2 struts are the proper replacement struts , is there a better option ? I am putting on 1" lift plates and maybe king springs later if I feel the need . .

I also will be carrying a fair bit of cargo both inside and on a cargo rack and a hitch mounted bike rack , for camping / outings ...

your feed back is very welcome

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
My 07 2.5x has 101,000 and the struts feel like new still. Nice and stiff and no bounce at all. I know this because back in September the fozz was in the body shop for a month and I had a '09 Toyota Corolla rental with 2,000 mi for the duration. She handle like a champ an the suspension is still factory.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Lovin' your avatar! Forgot about that old movie.

+1 on the question. Kinda hard to tell when you drive the car every day and live with the slow deterioration of suspension components. I'm thinking ours are about worn since I keep 150+ pounds above/behind the axle and the car has ~130,000 miles. But as you say, it still seems to handle fine and doesn't bounce over bumps.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Plus I drive my girls '00 Hyundai Sonata and that thing handles like **** and the suspension is almost completely shot after 80,000

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
This is a good question. I have 107k on the clock at the moment, and was wondering if i needed to swap out the struts when I put swift sport springs on it. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Unless struts start to clunk or leak, it's hard to tell when they are worn out until you drive on a set of new struts. At 100K they should be worn. They will still work and the ride could actually be more plush than on a set of fresh struts. Worn dampers will still compress, they just won't rebound as well as new.

They shouldn't bottom out, the plastic bumpstop should protect from that. But they could make noises.

Stan

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless struts start to clunk or leak, it's hard to tell when they are worn out until you drive on a set of new struts. At 100K they should be worn. They will still work and the ride could actually be more plush than on a set of fresh struts. Worn dampers will still compress, they just won't rebound as well as new.

They shouldn't bottom out, the plastic bumpstop should protect from that. But they could make noises.

Stan
well bottom out might have been an overstatement on my part but they don't take the bumps like railroad racks , road cracks that are ooo so common here in the mid west ( can I get an amen from my midwest broths and sistas !) like I would have expected . its like you said the rebound feels almost non existent .

so I guess I am getting new struts before my fun parts .... I gotta love ebay for good prices though :biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lovin' your avatar! Forgot about that old movie.

+1 on the question. Kinda hard to tell when you drive the car every day and live with the slow deterioration of suspension components. I'm thinking ours are about worn since I keep 150+ pounds above/behind the axle and the car has ~130,000 miles. But as you say, it still seems to handle fine and doesn't bounce over bumps.
Thanks .. occasionally need to give your self a pep talk and it seems to work well ya know .... sho'nuff! LOL

I think I might have waste some fun car parts money on maintenance , :mob:

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,936 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong BUT isn't the same "push down on the front bumper and release" test the same for struts as for standard shock absorbers?

Ya know, you release the bumper after several up and down cycles and see how long it takes for the car to stop the vertical movement?

Steve

PS: I'm at 128K miles but I drive defensively so I miss most pot holes. Now, my wife, on the other hand, considers each and every pothole she sees to be a personal challenge...........

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The bounce test works on some cars, especially older American cars with 3-foot-long springs. On Miatas that test doesn't work for sure, not sure about the Forester.

Stan

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bounce test works on some cars, especially older American cars with 3-foot-long springs. On Miatas that test doesn't work for sure, not sure about the Forester.

Stan
mine definitely doesn't bounce ...

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT
24 Posts
I just turned 141k on my 04 xt and the front struts are starting to make a little noise... im going to eventually replace everything with 05 and up wrx stuff. It probably doesn't help that I live on a Dirt road either. I would guess that it all depends on driving style and location, if you drove on perfectly paved roads all year with no pot holes, unlike here in the northeast, then I imagine they would last the life of the car.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Kyb gr2's got 15% more dampning rate then the oem struts. thinner housing and shorter at max length if you get what I mean.
But yes they are replacement struts for the forester.
I use kyb's and kings springs on my car. A bit more bumpy then my old ones but it stiffens the car up and I got the ground clearance fixed up plus a little :biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
well bottom out might have been an overstatement on my part but they don't take the bumps like railroad racks , road cracks that are ooo so common here in the mid west ( can I get an amen from my midwest broths and sistas !) like I would have expected . its like you said the rebound feels almost non existent .

so I guess I am getting new struts before my fun parts .... I gotta love ebay for good prices though :biggrin:
im not from the mid-west but where i live we joke there are 2 seasons winter and road work, half of which is fixing what the winter did to the road

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kyb gr2's got 15% more dampning rate then the oem struts. thinner housing and shorter at max length if you get what I mean.
But yes they are replacement struts for the forester.
I use kyb's and kings springs on my car. A bit more bumpy then my old ones but it stiffens the car up and I got the ground clearance fixed up plus a little :biggrin:
I would kill for for some king springs .. I might have to - at the price they are :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts