Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a strut install on a neighbor's 01 Forester (KYB GR-2) and both of the rear "strut helpers" were torn. I electric taped them for the time being (we don't have a Subaru dealership for 50 miles), and then sent Jackie at Annapolis Subaru a PM on price for those.

Turns out they are $23.50 each! My question: How important are they? My neighbor is out of work right now, and probably wouldn't have replaced the struts at all if they hadn't been at 170k and completely shot. $50 extra bucks is a lot right now.

Piece in question:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Did a strut install on a neighbor's 01 Forester (KYB GR-2) and both of the rear "strut helpers" were torn. I electric taped them for the time being (we don't have a Subaru dealership for 50 miles), and then sent Jackie at Annapolis Subaru a PM on price for those.

Turns out they are $23.50 each! My question: How important are they? My neighbor is out of work right now, and probably wouldn't have replaced the struts at all if they hadn't been at 170k and completely shot. $50 extra bucks is a lot right now.

Piece in question:
It appears that the "strut helpers" are AKA bumpstops. $23 is kinda crazy for that part. Tape won't actually help if they are completely split because as soon as they are under compression and needed the tape would just break.

Bumpstops aren't absolutely needed but they are there to protect the strut at full compression, so without them the struts could get damaged over a large bump. I would try to score a free set in the Wanted section here or NASIOC, since they often get thrown away. If I had a set around I'd send them to you.

Also, even on the cheap make sure you do at least a DIY alignment so his tires don't get worn prematurely.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
^ not sure but it does little for the strut functions. Maybe afraid to bend a strut.... :biggrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts