Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating this for a while and with all the recent strut bar questions floating around, does anybody have any hard data about strut bars stiffening the chassis or reducing body roll?

if they even make a slight difference I can see paying $100 for the front and rear STi replica bars but any more than that seems like a sub frame brace (cusco or similar) would be a better investment?

discuss!

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
On a Forester with a stock suspension the rear one helps IMHO but the front one is not needed. As you start to stiffen up the suspension the rear one will come into play more then the front may be needed. I still think the strut towers are so close to the firewall that the flexing will be not as bad as the rear which has nothing because it's a wagon. Just my 0.02$

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
Your biggest improvement in a wagon or hatch will be in a rear strut bar. Because they don't have the body reinforcements in the rear window area of a sedan/coupe with a c pillar.

I've noticed quite an improvement in my Eclipse from a rear strut bar. I don't use one in my FXT because of loss off utility.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring Auto
256 Posts
I know I've read somewhere that since the shocks are so close to the firewall on the Forester, there is minimum benefit from a Front Strut Tower bar. I could definatley see how a Rear Strut Tower bar would bring a lot more to the table. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Eclipse said:
I don't use one in my FXT because of loss off utility.
Why not go with a quick release model? It only takes a sec. to undo. Though this would be true for a normal one except you'd need a wrench to remove it and with the center piece removed may still have some intrusion from the tower ends.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Despite what some of the members have said above (well respected ones I might add) I added a Cusco front strut bar to my FXT and it DID make a noticeable improvement...

The front end has a faster reaction, and turn in is quicker... it also increased my understeer...

I'm still waiting for my custom rear quick release strut bar from moboost... waiting... waiting... waiting...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
What rate springs are you running? I don't have a front brace but have considered it. If it stops my windshield from making cracking noises, i'll say it makes a difference. Anyone else with stiff springs notice this? I know it happens on WRXs.

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
No windshield craking noises from mine.
But, I do have a Whiteline Front Strut bar.
If I wasn't auto Xing alot, as I am, I probably wouldn't though.

8K fr. springs

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
ploney said:
No windshield craking noises from mine.
But, I do have a Whiteline Front Strut bar.
If I wasn't auto Xing alot, as I am, I probably wouldn't though.

8K fr. springs
Wouldn't run the front bar?

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Wouldn't run the front bar?
My gut feel, no data here, is that Auto X will push the limits of the strength of the front frame of the car. Street/canyon driving would not.

Any, legal auto X rules, mods to strengthen the front frame is then a wise choice.

So the short answer, No auto X, = no need for a fr. stut bar.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Understood. Well like I said, if it stops the crackling sound it would be doing something. As for it's efficacy for handling, that would be a plus also.

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
I have found that they make a very big difference.
Both front and back.
The only way you can feel it too is to fit them, drive around for a month them remove them and go for a drive.
You wont believe the difference.
IMHO

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
I've noticed less creaking and groaning from the rear of my forester since i've installed the whiteline rear bar. Hard to tell if it helps w/ cornering though cuz my Nokian Hakka Q snowtires are so squishy.

TAGXT04 put an ebay front strut bar on his FXT and said it made a noticeable handling difference. Tom, any comments?!?!

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys, I'll probably get a rear bar and maybe a sub frame brace for the front...has anybody had any luck fitting one? I know on the old forums somebody did it by redrilling some holes...

A

·
0 Posts
i guess everything comes down to purpose. I know that people have said the rear is more important. but i have seen a significant increase in handling just from the front brace. I installed a cusco brace for a STi on my XT and there was a huge difference in the way she drove. also i A/X in a stock class, so if i added a rear brace i would get bumped up into street prepared. But just the front i thought was the best compromise for the purpose i needed.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
I've read that a front brace on foresters creates a noticable difference in corner turn-in (http://forum.gtrydaz.com/showthread.php?t=4749). I personally could never bring myself to install a rear strut brace due to the decreased amount of cargo space (yeah, I know quick release, but who wants to do this everytime they have a large load go into their forester?). Plus how am I supposed to sleep back there with a strut tower bar in the way?? ;)

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
i bought one of the cheapy ebay fstb's and i can honestly say it did seem to tighten the front up a bit. i actually just picked up a rstb from the same guy. they're fairly lightweight, but proven effective. a buddy of mine is a subaru tuner and general subie know-it-all with xotic motorsports in pennsylvania and he runs the same cheapy bars on his 11 second sti. hell, it's like $50 for both bars shipped from the guy i got mine from on ebay, so they're at least worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts