Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the owner of a 2007 Subaru Forester. When I start my car -- especially in cold or wet weather -- a strong exhaust smell is emitted. I use to think this happened only in very cold weather. In very cold weather, it just happens all the time. At other times of the year, when I start my car, the exhaust is still strong in my opinion. I say this because I've had about 4 other cars in my life - Toyotas, Chryslers, GM. None of them ever emitted such a strong smell upon start up. I've brought this to the attention of my mechanic (subaru dealer) who has offered no answers. This is not just in my mind. Whenever I've had to drive anyone, they notice it right away. I finally asked one other Subaru Forester owner who said he has experienced the same thing and it's just a Subaru characteristic. (I don't like that the dealer mechanic made me feel like it's all in my mind.)

Anyone have answers? Is this true? Just a Subaru characteristic?

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
Our engines run a bit richer than others, especially on start up, plus , the catalytic converter is cold at that time, so it doesnt do anything at all. If the car doesn't smell after its in operating temperature, u're fine, if it does - probably u need an O2 sensor. I no longer have a Catalytic converter in mine - it smells all the time now :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
4 Posts
I have an 01' forester and I have been having the same problem. It tends to happen more in the cold or when I first start it up. Just recently though I noticed that it smelled a lot like gasoline in the cabin, especially when I come to a stop or park. I've been reading a lot on here and it sound like it's the fuel lines. It says the clamps come loose or that the lines go bad and need to be replaced. I don't know exactly what type of smell it is that you are experiencing but it's just an idea. It says it's a common problem. I know your forester is newer than mine so it may not be the same issue. Something to think about though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to the 2 have replied. I will look into it. But I have to say, I'm a bit befuddled, that if this is a common problem, I would think I would hear from more people on this forum. Because I'm not and because this reflects what I'm hearing in the real world (i.e., not much), I can't help thinking what is the deal? Is this a little secret about Subarus no one wants to talk about or my car genuinely has a problem. It would really help if I heard from others who either said, "I never get this." or "Yeah, it happens to me, too." I just feel like there is such a mystery going around about this. What's the deal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts