Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a friend and I finished up my exhaust system by installing a stromung SS midpipe and highflow cat. I have had the axleback on for over 20K miles now. It was actually the first mod I did to the forester (haha kinda ricey, I know). The muffler sounded great, but there is not much performance gained from just swapping the muffler.

The stromung headerback sounds great. It's a bit louder than it was before but thats what I was after. Actually I'm kicking myself in the pants right now for not having a Borla header around when the rest of the exhaust was off. It would have been very simple to bolt that in and have a full exhaust. Oh well. I actually can hear those nice boxer pulses along with the intake now at WOT. I haven't given much chance for the ECU to adjust but it seems like a bit more pull everywhere thus far.

Oh yeah, no CEL so far either :grin:.

I will update with some pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,808 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
The muffler sounded great, but there is not much performance gained from just swapping the muffler.
I agree. I unbolted my COBB exhaust over the past weekend. Low end feels the same but man the highend is kind of boring now. I swear the needle on tach takes forever now to climb. Some lucky SOB is getting my exhaust.

I can imagine how great the car must feel. My old 89 Legend had a custom header back too. It kicked arse on the upper end of the RPM range. Nice sound but not as nice as the boxer rumble for sure. Congrats on new toys.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Now I feel like I really need one..

looks awesome!

I was thinking about painting my exhaust if I ever got one

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
sounds like a nice setup, don't hold your breath on the CEL though. you may not get one i think it is mostly caused by the borla headers but if you do get one it may take a few miles for it to pop on.
how bout some exhaust clips in the NA exhaust clip thread ;)

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MY00forest, how much louder do you think borla headers will make my setup? Did you notice any gains when you put yours on? I'd like to make a sound clip but unfortunately don't have the means to. It's got quite a mean growl noise going on.

Anyone else with a highflow cat notice the kind of rotten egg like smell the new cat produces after driving? My s**t stinks man ;-). Glad I'm not catless.

Senor subie, why would you want to paint your exhaust?

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
thats what i was thinking
but the nasty smell from the cat is normal. it should go away after a few miles i think it's just some of the stuff getting burned away. i noticed some power gains from my borla headers but it did make it louder. i would say that if you're happy with the power and especially the sound the not to bother with the headers but if you wanna get a few more ponies then go for the headers

·
Registered
441 Posts
Scooby Doobie what you did with the second sensor on the cat, I am planning to install this same setup but I have 2 sensor on my cats, first one install perfect to the aftermarket cat, but were goes the other one, the sensor is to short to get to the other end

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
Maybe I should have been a bit more specific..

I'm talking about coating the exhaust in a ceramic coating, so I could remove my heatshields without much added under-the-hood heat

There we go

Oh, and it would look better too

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little update:smile:. Still no CEL. Sounds good and deep but kind of raspy from the cat I think. I feel a bit more torque almost everywhere, especially midrange, but it still feels as if I really don't get any more power past 5K RPMs. I really can't justify spending the $$$ on EL headers and losing that boxer rumble though. I think Borla headers will umph the torque a bit and cetainly bring out more of that boxer rumble. Not to mention for a fraction of the cost of other headers out there. Anyone know the cheapest place to get a new stainless borla 2.5 Gen. VI header?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Forester_007 said:
Scooby Doobie what you did with the second sensor on the cat, I am planning to install this same setup but I have 2 sensor on my cats, first one install perfect to the aftermarket cat, but were goes the other one, the sensor is to short to get to the other end
I see in the pic that you dont have the second sensor pluged in your aftermarket cat, where is it>>??

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure what you mean. I have both 02 sensors plugged in. Maybe you can't see it from the pic but it is definitely attached right after the cat. Why would I leave a big arse hole in the exhaust?:wtfeyes

·
Registered
441 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
Not sure what you mean. I have both 02 sensors plugged in. Maybe you can't see it from the pic but it is definitely attached right after the cat. Why would I leave a big arse hole in the exhaust?:wtfeyes

Ok so how did you extend that sensor all the way to the end of the cat???

·
Registered
441 Posts
ScoobyDoobie said:
I didn't have to do anything to extend the sensor. The stromung HFC is a direct bolt on unit, no altering of the O2 sensors was required.
Today I check out my 2nd sensor an this is how it look likes is like 14 inch long cable, I dont think is gonna reach all the way to the end of the cat were the mid-pipe and cat meet. This is way I said earlier that how did you extend it all the way to the back.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts