Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow one of my wheel studs on the front passenger side got stripped which I found out (or did) today while swapping on my winter wheels/tires. Is this an auto-parts store part or do I need to go to the Subaru dealer for a replacement? Already found the how-to on Scooby Mods.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
i would bet a auto parts store would have a part that fits, but the only place that your going to get a OEM part is the dealer

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Napa did me well for the two I needed, Previous owner on my old baja. The studs were almost the same as the factory, just a touch longer(2mm maybe) and the head was a little thicker.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Considering its a $3-5 part I'd just get it at the dealer . You're lucky its the front that stripped. Its a PITA to deal with the rears. I did 3-4 of them already this year.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it safe to ride to the dealer and back with just four lug nuts?

I might hit the parts stores in the morning using the wife's Foz.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
I snapped one off at the track removing the race wheels nearly 300km from home. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
as legacy said you should be fine, just keep in under control, in other words no hair-pin turns at high speeds, drifting etc etc, till you get it fixed that is...........then feel free to have fun

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm really hosed. Tried getting off the caliper bolts and the bottom ome snapped...I'm throwing in the towel and taking it to the dealer. Still safe to drive it there (@ 10 miles)

Bill

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both issues fixed at the dealer for $84.

Now I can guarantee no snow since I've got this sorted out...

Bill

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Glad the dealer didn't screw you too bad on that repair.

Had a buddy do the same thing on his car and dealer tried to hit him for a $300 repair. Decided against it and brought it to our local independent shop that charged him $50.

You would n't think caliper bolts would snap, being so big, but I guess the heating and cooling has an effect on the metal strength, as well as seizing the bolts in there.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm lucky to have a good dealership and good relationship with my service mgr. He gave me a discount on the labor and said that they run into that bolt snapping more often than you might think in the shop.

Bill

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
You would n't think caliper bolts would snap, being so big, but I guess the heating and cooling has an effect on the metal strength, as well as seizing the bolts in there.
My money is that it seized due to lack of lubricant. I've taken mine to the track how many days now and the bolt has never snapped. It takes 30 mins after I pull into the pits before I can even touch the caliper with gloves on its so hot. Every time I come home from the track I clean off the old grease and apply a new coat.

Sad to say but a lot of mechanics are lazy and don't bother to service brakes properly so they can rush the job and get paid.

Good to see the dealer didn't rip the OP off. What's their hourly rate ? Its $92 @ hour at ours now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts