Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Forester non-turbo: I am putting the engine back together after head gasket replacement (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/cooling-leak-update-70145/#post778589)

Last night while installing the new timing belt I inadvertently stripped the threads in the engine block for idler pulley #1. Everything else is going really well with the reassembly so I'm kicking myself in the a** for doing this. I hope here is some relatively straightforward way to correct for this and that I am not totally buggered. Please help!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
No, not totally buggered, but you may have to pull the engine (if you haven't done so already) to be able to drill out the threads to either install a Time Cert (threaded insert) or Helicoil to replace the stripped threads. I've worked with both before, and either one provides a good fix.

Here's a vid on a Helicoil install........

YouTube - How to Repair Threads With A Heli-Coil Insert

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
I did the same. Try this.

Have a machine shop make you a stud say like 1 ½" long. One side 7/16-24 thread. The other side 3/8-16. Bring them the pulley and the bolt so they can make it fit. Grind a flat on the end so you can screw it with a flat-head screw-driver.

I bought an angle drill adapter for my drill. You then drill letter "Q" which is for the 7/16-24 thread size. It just cleans up the hole and barely removes any material. You then tap the block 7/16-24.

Clean the hole and insert the stud with some lock-tite. Install pulley with washer and lock washer. Voilà!!!! fixed. Done it to my car and someone elses car. Works great!!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
For what it's worth....

In my eyes a Timesert is a much stronger repair over a Helicoil.

Bob
Agreed, however A properly installed heli-coil will be more the adequate for this.

The bad part is it might run you $35+ for the right Heli-coil kit, or might run you $35+ to have a shop do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts