Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strano front sway bar, 32 MM Hollow??

Anyone on here install and test out one of these yet on a XT?

I have read elsewhere that 4 Forester owners have already purchased this HUGE bar. It is equivalent to 29 solid.

I am thinking of upgrading from a Cobb to this to further increase front end grip for Auto X.

Anyone..??

http://www.stranoparts.com/show_items_cat.php

That link is weird, just search under stranopart for the brand name and subaru.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Mine has yet to arrive, I opened a thread asking about the same questions. Arlyn at Strano claimed to have sold seven to Forester owners. I'll take a bunch of pics.

Handling improvements seem to be solid. With our cars plowing like a pig, it's go big or go home. The "AS bar" thread on NASIOC is a great read.

I've yet to get CO's but that will have to wait for the tax return. So far I'll have the bars (cobb rear), poltec box rear endlinks, goodrich ss brake lines/HPS pads/ATE Blue, 17x7.5 with 225.ST615s.

STU in my region has at least a dozen STi's, if I wanted a trophy I'd go for DS.

Jeff

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be STI hunting in STU this Sun. out at Cal Speedway. :wink:

In Nov. I installed some new 17 x 8.5 Rotas w/ 245-45-17 Falken 615's.
I competed, and spun on the first two of three runs. I didn't have time to heat cycle them before the event. My third run was clean and good enough to beat 1 STI. My first Solo2 STI kill. Albeit, the guy coned all three runs. He beat me raw time by .2 But, I ran conservatively to not spin or cone too.

Anyway, we'll see now. The 615's should be ready this time. I just need way more seat time with the new found grip and the current sway bar setup.

Fr. Cobb 25 mm Hollow, rear solid whiteline 22,24,26 set at 22.

Wish me luck....

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me know if you try just the strano bar and the stock rear bar for D Stock.

I was way too afraid to try that setup at stock ride height. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
For daily driving I decided to skip the Strano bar. The clearance is just too small, and I have no doubt it will clunk. I have heard from several vendors that the whiteline 29mm front bar also clunks. I decided to go with the front 24/26mm STI Whiteline adjustable front bar, but sacraficed a bit of front roll stiffness.

I'm sure these HUG front bars would be fine autocross tools, I just don't want folks with daily driven cars to run out and buy a headache they aren't ready for.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
wadejg said:
For daily driving I decided to skip the Strano bar. The clearance is just too small, and I have no doubt it will clunk. I have heard from several vendors that the whiteline 29mm front bar also clunks. I decided to go with the front 24/26mm STI Whiteline adjustable front bar, but sacraficed a bit of front roll stiffness.

I'm sure these HUG front bars would be fine autocross tools, I just don't want folks with daily driven cars to run out and buy a headache they aren't ready for.

Justin, Thanks for your reply. I miss Oregon, and Porland Int. Raceway. I cut my teeth with dad's bmw 2002tii there and then raced SCCA GT1 with an underpowered Capri regionally. I recall the weekends camping on turns 3/4/5 during the Indy races.

Do tell. As the Forester community starts the knowledge base on these big fat bars don't hold back. Do you speak from first hand knowledge? I've stuffed fat bars in cars for years and if you know that there is a problem with the Forester and either the 29mm Whiteline or the Strano I'd be in your debt if you spilled the beans.

I'm not talking the extra nvh of the two sides connected with stiffer iron and bushings. I'm intrested in a-arm, frame or wheel contact. I've no problem encountering these problems, that is a fact of life with aftermarket parts. I just want to flatten the learning curve.

I agree with your comments for the suspension rookie to steer clear of these bars. Let's find out the problems and go from there.

Ploney-DS is not an option. With camping gear and 4 bikes I'm on the bumpstops so the Coilovers(7k/5k) are as much for that as AX. Which slams me in STU/ESP. I've enough trophys, AX is for fun currently. Yes the springrates are soft, I don't mind buying other ERS' if I have to. It's still a daily driver and will compensate w/ the dampners. It's the driver events that will suffer with soft springs. I've a dream to have some 12k/10k springs for when I visit Texas World Speedway several times a year :D :D :D

Jeff STU27
no trailer queen

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
wadejg said:
I have heard from several vendors that the whiteline 29mm front bar also clunks. I decided to go with the front 24/26mm STI Whiteline adjustable front bar, but sacraficed a bit of front roll stiffness.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
Is this the 27MM adjustable you are refering to or is it a fixed 29MM?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
ploney said:
That link is weird, just search under stranopart for the brand name and subaru.
It's made by Addco for Strano no? Yeah, the "AS front bar" thread in NASIOC Motorsports is a good read. I'm too lazy to link you.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
It's made by Addco for Strano no?
Yes

Arlyn at Strano said to me that there will be no shipping tracking heads-up because it comes direct from Addco.

Still waiting...

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
wagn said:
Handling improvements seem to be solid. With our cars plowing like a pig, it's go big or go home. The "AS bar" thread on NASIOC is a great read.
Seems like moving to a bar that big in the front would increase the understeer. Are you increasing the size of the rear bar, too?

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Northwest Tan said:
wagn said:
Seems like moving to a bar that big in the front would increase the understeer. Are you increasing the size of the rear bar, too?
Oh yes That's what help me decide not to go Dstock. Since I plan to have soft spring rates 7/5 for a better daily driver, I'll need to compensate with swaybars and dampning.

Imagine the handling (Strano + Stock rearbar) with all my camping gear on the roof, the bikes off the hitch mounted rack

I think I'll get the Cobb rear bar and Poltec box links installed tonight

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
wagn said:
Justin, Thanks for your reply. I miss Oregon, and Porland Int. Raceway. I cut my teeth with dad's bmw 2002tii there and then raced SCCA GT1 with an underpowered Capri regionally. I recall the weekends camping on turns 3/4/5 during the Indy races.

Do tell. As the Forester community starts the knowledge base on these big fat bars don't hold back. Do you speak from first hand knowledge?
I have not had the Strano bar. I have been under the car to see how much clearance the front bar has through the center of the subframe area. The 32mm would have VERY little room around it and would have to give some clunking since the bar is going to move a little. And of course over at NASIOC several people have reported clunking with it.

The I think for Whiteline the largest bar that is adjustable is 27/29mm adjustable bar (XSF36XXZ -formerly known as X3006). Here is the link:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=58

I was even worried about clunking with this bar so I went with the Whiteline 24/26mm adjustable (BSF33XZ). Link:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_42_48&products_id=43

Yeah PIR rocks. I run a spec miata out there. Good stuff.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
Mine is going in tonight. I'll report back on the results.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
sleepy said:
wanna sell it? ;)
Ha:p. That would be bad karma. I've already called Arlyn and asked if they were having a "two for one" sale.

I've yet to do the install. GTP any news. I'm thinking I might go out and purchase an angle grinder just in case I need it.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
DONE:D :cool: :D :cool:
It's installed. I just finished and did a quick loop around the block to check for "things". I'll post more over time but I'll spill most of the beans now.

I've many pics and will take a few days to sort them out and do a write-up for ScoobyMods. I need to shake things down a bit before a 100% "it works".

It was pretty easy.

Cliffnotes version for now.
Jack up the car
Remove plastic engine cover
Remove crossmember
Remove one wheel
Disconnect endlinks
Unbolt swaybar/remove bar
Insert Strano bar/loosely connect brackets
Mount removed wheel
Drive up on ramps
Install Strano control arm brackets
Lube bar/bushing/bracket and Center/Tighten
Install Strano endlinks
Re-install crossmember
Reattach plastic engine cover

Left to do:
In a couple days retorque all bolts
Add air pressure in the fronts, at 30psi there rolling over instantly
TestTestTest

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Quick Comments:

I'm glad I've replaced the Geosqueelers & rims with 225.45.17 summer tires on 7" rims.

Given that I've no other suspension mods other than the new Strano bar I'm not totally happy. Yes turn-in response is much better. Yes front roll is reduced. Yes transitions are quicker.

But w/o a bigger rear bar and coilovers there is a limit to what this big bar can do. Soon that will change for me and the total package may bring total happiness, I'm just a few mods from that. Come on Uncle Sam, give me back the money I lent you (intrest free:mad: ) last year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts