Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo manual
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a viberation in my clutch pedal as i lift off it changing gear !!!?
Any ideas

It's not all the time :
mainly first gear/pulling off feels a little like when the abs kicks in on the brake
and only at the top just as I put the clutch in and just as I take my foot off

Don't do it when I'm not driving feels fine then!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,563 Posts
I take it that this is since fitting the "new" larger intercooler??

Could be a clearance issue with the A/C pipework at the back of it.
Could be the "pitch stopper" has too much play and the engine moves slightly backwards as the power comes on .

The standard FXT one is quite soft. Recently changed mine to the WRX /grpN version.

At 100,000 miles there was a considerable gap between the plastic and the rubber insert so that the engine sat further back.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes don its only since the intercooler went in today m8.

did you have the same prob?

and did that pitch stopper fix it?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok just to follow up i took of the cooler and can see where it is rubbing off the pitch stopper so fitted to extra rubber washers under each side to raise it up a small bit and yahooooo its solved the problem :)

now have to take it off again at the weekend to fit the sti pitch stopper but happy out all the same

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silly question....are these stoppers fitted to the auto or it it a manual only thing !??

Brian
Hi Brian ,
as far as I know there standand on both and help to stop the block from moving under accelaration !!!!

And the xt ones are a little soft so I've got an sti one that should be a bit stiffer

I'm sure some one will be along soon who will know for sure

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,563 Posts
Yes Brian, they all have one.

http://www.scoobymods.com/pitch_link_retrofit-t168.html?t=168

The rubber tends to get a bit soft after a few miles and allows the engine to move backwards under acceleration.

Depending what bush material manufacturers select for their aftermarket pitch stoppers NVH can go up dramatically.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Ah right - e -o. so after 105k and 11 yrs it might be a little tired then. Group buy on SN looks good then.

Cheers all

Brian

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,973 Posts
Yes Brian, they all have one.

http://www.scoobymods.com/pitch_link_retrofit-t168.html?t=168

The rubber tends to get a bit soft after a few miles and allows the engine to move backwards under acceleration.

Depending what bush material manufacturers select for their aftermarket pitch stoppers NVH can go up dramatically.
The alledged NVH thing is what has stopped me doing this. Can anyone state from personal experience what difference going to the STI one has made? I'm not interested in those billet ones.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fitted mine today don't notice any extra nvh but can notice a differents fir the better ;) the sti one is a tiny tiny bit shorter the the orginal but bolt in no props ..…....... And the viberation is gone
as Tony the tiger would say it's grrrrreat

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
So where is it ?
Had a grope around under the i/c and I can't see/feel it. I looked between the bulkhead and the engine block, above the autobox.
Any pics ? The link on Don's post has pics but is nothing like the bits under the bonnet of the T/tb.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its a bit ruff but just for ref:
the stopper sits just under the intercooler (all most sits on it) and bang in the center
bolts on to the fire wall and on to the block

hope thats a help

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,563 Posts
The standard UK WRX pitch stopper is the same as what is termed the GpN version both here and in the States. There are a number of threads about this on Nabisco and other boards. Some sites show a slightly different shaped "dog bone" for the GpN version but AFAIK they are now allthe same shape.

The pitch stopper fitted to the standard FXT has slightly softer rubber bushes, so going to the WRX one reduces movement without getting the NVH problems of polyurethane bushes which most aftermarket ones seem to use.

So where is it ?
Had a grope around under the i/c and I can't see/feel it. I looked between the bulkhead and the engine block, above the autobox.
Any pics ? The link on Don's post has pics but is nothing like the bits under the bonnet of the T/tb.

Cheers
Without removing the intercooler it's not that easy to see

Pitch stopper fits to box where red arrow points....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts