Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While hitting brakes on ice or packed snow my '09 forester with 24k miles and stock tires starts sliding (which I guess is normal) then moment later ABS kicks in and I start feeling feedback from it on the pedal. However, once in a while I start hearing very strange "tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk" sound from the front right side. Car breaks and drives perfectly fine and this sound only occurs when I break on the slippery snow or ice. Does anyone know what this might be? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
/s/ Al

·
Registered
2008 Forester
44 Posts
Hello,

While hitting brakes on ice or packed snow my '09 forester with 24k miles and stock tires starts sliding (which I guess is normal) then moment later ABS kicks in and I start feeling feedback from it on the pedal. However, once in a while I start hearing very strange "tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk" sound from the front right side. Car breaks and drives perfectly fine and this sound only occurs when I break on the slippery snow or ice. Does anyone know what this might be? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
/s/ Al
That's what an anti-lock braking system sounds like when it's triggered. When it's activated it rapidly releases and pumps brake fluid. That's what makes that sound. It's normal :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you car has packed snow/ice under wheel-wells it will make all kinds of strange noises when turning & braking. The wetter the snow, the worse it happens. Kick the debris off and re-test for noises.

Motoretro

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,589 Posts
The ABS pump is right behind the passenger side headlight right in the area you're saying the sound is coming from.
Pay attention to this folks...= Correct answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts