Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just having some odd issues with the ol' xt and I thought I'd write it out for your educated evaluations:

As I was easing into the driveway (uphill) in snow the last few nights, a pretty vile burning smell has been engulfing the inside of the car probably by way of the air vents; I am rather sure that I was not burning rubber. It has happened three times now and I just can't figure it out.

Also, as I downshift to second gear slowing to 1-5 mph not touching the clutch, the car begins screaming at me; it's kind of a dulled grinding noise. It does not occur in any other gear. Just wondering whether anyone has had these sort of problems before. Any thoughts are appreciated.

PS: 18k miles, 5 speed, stock.

N

·
0 Posts
Me too!

Just took my 98 Forester L for a drive up moutain roads this past weekend and discovered the same thing. I never grind the gears and kept bumping away on the snowy roads in either 1st or 2nd gear, always rolling at a slow and consistent speed. When I rolled down my window, I discovered a vile burning smell as well.

What the hell????

I'm going to take mine in for an inspection -- though Chilli Pepper has just gotten her full necessary tune-ups (steam engine clean, oil change and new right axle with cv boots)....

Will keep you posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts