Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All. I am new here and have a problem with my 1999 Forester. About a week ago the battery went dead. No juice when I turned the key on. I started it with my jumper system and ran it. Two days ago it was dead again.

I put it on a charger and in about an hour of charging the parking lights came on. Problem solved. WRONG. The battery charged to 12. 6 volts and with the key turned off the parking lights remain on. The front blinking and the rear steady. When I turn the parking light switch on the rear ones blink and the front ones are on steady. I am at a loss. I Forgot. There is also a clicking noise as the lights flash on and off.

It is of course Sunday and tomorrow is Labor Day and nothing is open. I currently have the ground wire disconnected to keep the battery from draining again. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me how to fix this.

Thanks. Rod

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Sounds like a bad relay maybe?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
rodharder first welcome to the forum and I hope we can help you find a solution to your problem. First I'd suggest disconnecting your battery and putting it on the charger for a bit. Secondly if you already know about the following, you can ignore this post. Not sure if you are aware about the parking light switch on top of the steering column or not, this is often accidently turned on while cleaning, and depending on the conditions (sunny) you may not notice the parking lights on, when you leave the vehicle and drain your battery. Your vehicle is already equipped with the basics for the keyless entry, regardless of trim and when you reconnect the battery, the parking lights will flash and whether you can see it or not the instrument lights will flash. So if you have a keyless remote, once you reconnect the charged battery, press the unlock on the remote, also make sure the remote battery is in good condition. That should reset the keyless entry and the lights should stop flashing. If you don't have the keyless remote you can reset it from inside the car. Just to the lower left of the steering wheel under the trim of the coin/fuse cover there is a recessed button, with the key in the on position press that (pencil or pen will work), you might have to have a look under there first. If that stops the flashing, check that the parking light switch is off on the top of the steering column. Also check that the dome and hatch lights are also off, it's easy to accidently leave them on and not notice them. Hopefully this might be of some help to you, and please let us know when you've solved the problem. Good luck and enjoy the forum .

370 Posts
:huh: Keyless entry flashes the indicators, not parking lights!

Clicking sound could mean that you have left your HAZARD lights on?

Check for melted light bulb holders & fittings.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,017 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest the issues are being caused by the low voltage to the car's computer.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I put it on a charger and in about an hour of charging the parking lights came on. Problem solved. WRONG. The battery charged to 12. 6 volts and with the key turned off the parking lights remain on.
Howdy,

there's a parking light switch on the SF Forester at the top of the steering column (a rocker switch). This switches the parking lights on regardless of key position. Check to see that this switch has not accidentially been flicked. This may be the cause of the battery going flat and the parking lights remaining on with the key removed from the ignition. It doesn't, however, explain your flashing lights problem, so best of luck in diagnosing the drama!

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all that responded. Good Dog nailed it. I do not have a remote keyless entry device and the manual does not address it as regards battery disconnect. Once I located the the recessed button he describes (that actually turned out to be on the end of a free floating wire) and pushed it, the parking lights stopped blinking as did the clock. I let the vehicle sit over night and the battery did not drain. It appears the problem is solved.

Thanks again to Good Dog and all the others that responded.
Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts