Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my XT Kartboy short shifter on Wednesday and ever since then I have been hearing a strange metallic scrubbing noise. Initially I thought it was the wear indicator on my brakes but after listening to it more while driving today I think it is more related to the drivetrain. It is a faint noise that sounds like something is rubbing another something that is turning. It becomes more pronounced when stepping on the brakes. The thing is, it changes when messing with the shifter. I can pull back on the shifter when in 4th and the sound stops. This tells me it must not be brake related. I am wondering what the heck it is. Could something be rubbing in the tranny or could something be rubbing the drive shaft just under the shifter. I don't know but I plan to investigate a bit more. Anyone else having any similar experiences?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
Because the shifter bushings are harder they will transmit any other sounds that are happening on the car. So it may not be related

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
please keep up updated in your findings. I will be installing one eventually.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Which one of the knobs are you using?
I had this problem and wrote Kartboy about it:

"I have a quick question. I bought a SS from you a while back for the '97 - '01 Impreza and installed it in my '01 Forester. When I installed it, I got some noise / vibration coming from it. I didn't worry about it since it wasn't that bad. I recently just changed shift knobs (honeydipper delrin) and the new knob seemed to amplify the sound coming from the shifter. I was curious if there was any way to remedy the noise / vibration? I appreciate your time."

I knew it wasn't the bushings because I had the bushings in with the stock shifter and knob without any hum. It started as soon as I put the SS in.

I received this e-mail in return from Tom at Kartboy (quite quickly too):

"Best thing to do is relube all the pivot points with some good lithium grease and make sure the center bolt is at 8-12 pounds. It's not that much torque. If it's too tight it will make noise. Same thing if it's too loose.

Tom"

Now, I've been kinda busy and really lazy when I wasn't busy so I haven't gotten around to trying this. So, if you do, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Dang, sorry your having troubles. I did notice a bit more noise when I installed mine, but nothing like your describing. Could it just be that the stock shifter has the rubber damper and the Kartboy does not. :?

Hope you figure it out soon.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well guys, I am using a solid delrin HD for my shift knob and I have delrin shifter bushings (made by me) as well. I make shifter bushings out of the same delrin the HD knobs are made from. In combination with the SS it is definately a wonderful feel in shifting. I know this is off the topic of this thread, but you guys who bought delrin knobs from me I know exactly what you are saying about the crisp feel in shifting. It makes my XT even more fun to drive. As far as any buzzing noises from the grooved delrin HD knobs I would say it is drivetrain noises radiating from the fins of the knob. My solid delrin knob does not hum or buzz I just hear that constant sound of very thin metal rubbing something else that is rotating. It is almost like there is a small piece of aluminum foil just barely touching the driveshaft as it rotates. Does that help with your ablity to imagine the sound? It really is no big concern for me because I feel there is nothing wrong with the car. I just wonder what it is.

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
550 Posts
99% sure its from the delrin bushings. the prototype ones i made were out of the same material. they were really loud. we use a 95A urethane that has just enough vibration absorbing properties.

another thing. how tight is the fit on the shifter bushings? id there is any slop in there you will get some noise. might try some thick grease to take up the space.

Tom

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99% sure its from the delrin bushings. the prototype ones i made were out of the same material. they were really loud. we use a 95A urethane that has just enough vibration absorbing properties.

another thing. how tight is the fit on the shifter bushings? id there is any slop in there you will get some noise. might try some thick grease to take up the space.
I have had the shifter bushings for nearly a year now and they produce no noise at all. If anything, there is a bit more vibration to the touch. I made them so they were a press fit into the housing of the stay rod so there is no slop. The noise I am hearing is not coming up from the shifter. What I hear sounds like it is coming through the firewall. All I can say is I never heard it until after the shifter install. Unfortunately the noise will just have to be because I love the shifter :D .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts