Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to start the '09 Forester (less than 8K miles) yesterday morning and was surprised when the wipers wouldn't work. I turned on the radio and nothing there either. The small AA battery charger I keep plugged into the power jack in the center console storage area was also off. Hmmm....

I shut off the car and popped open the hood. I removed the fuse box cover and everything looked good. I looked at the diagram inside the box cover to try to determine what fuse might be responsible but didn't find one that was labled for the wipers or radio.

When I replaced the fuse box cover and got back in and re-started the car, everything worked, and has continued to. Has anyone experienced anything like this? :confused:

Take it easy,
desmobob

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I went out to start the '09 Forester (less than 8K miles) yesterday morning and was surprised when the wipers wouldn't work. I turned on the radio and nothing there either. The small AA battery charger I keep plugged into the power jack in the center console storage area was also off. Hmmm....

I shut off the car and popped open the hood. I removed the fuse box cover and everything looked good. I looked at the diagram inside the box cover to try to determine what fuse might be responsible but didn't find one that was labled for the wipers or radio.

When I replaced the fuse box cover and got back in and re-started the car, everything worked, and has continued to. Has anyone experienced anything like this? :confused:

Take it easy,
desmobob
Hmmm...it sounds strange to me. Was the motor running and the key in the ignition before you turned the wipers ON?

If I start my Forester with the remote starter, the wipers won't turn on. But if I then insert the key in the ignition switch (motor still running), and turn the key forward and just before the START position on the switch, then I can turn the wipers on.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...it sounds strange to me. Was the motor running and the key in the ignition before you turned the wipers ON?

The key was in the ignition with the engine running. I had already started down my driveway when I noticed the wipers wouldn't work.

No problems today... I really hope it was a one-time deal!

Drive carefully,
desmobob

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I've seen radios not turn on when car is started or not turn off when car is turned off before. Generally turning car off and back on again fixes it. No explanation why. File it under gremlins.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I've seen radios not turn on when car is started or not turn off when car is turned off before. Generally turning car off and back on again fixes it. No explanation why. File it under gremlins.
My favorite childhood movie. Don't feed after midnight and don't give them wayet

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Sounds like a relay somewhere is getting stuck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the same glitch.. thought it was an electric window problem

Symptoms vary and are often solved by a slam of the drivers door with all lights coming on and engine starting.

I think I have rounded it down to a denso relay marked 056700-5260
When I put the key and turn the dash lights come on but fade- at this point a door slam works.

Found three relays.. two barrel and one standard plastic. When the symptoms present one relay (the barrel one) buzzes. When I remove this relay, the engine starts fine but soon stalls- I assume this is the fuel pump serving relay too.

Typical, it's a bank holiday weekend. I am at the wrong end of the country and finding another relay is going to be impossible.

S%$t happens doesn't it

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts