Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the new model forester and I think the ACC is acting strange.

Once the engine gets warm (a couple of degrees above freezing outside) it produces way too hot air almost all the way down to the lowest setting where it starts to make cold air.

Almost like it only has only 4 settings. Cold, hot, hotter very hot....

Also the auto setting (on the fan speed control dial) almost always push air towards the feet. I get the feeling I have a chill on my upper body and my feet get very hot. The only setting that works is to override the auto and choose to only blow air in the middle.

It was no sun outside so that shouldn't affect. Is the temperature sensor sitting right next to the window so it becomes colder than the air inside the car or is the forester ACC just crappy?

Not only comparing to my lexus RX which due to the price is expected to have flawless ACC but also to other cars like our volvo etc etc.

Feels like I am having to change the dials all the time to get a comfortable climate in the car.

I have the diesel version maybe thats why? Also its already cold in this godforsaken country so maybe that is one of the reasons?

What is your experience with the new model?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have experimented some more.

Maybe this is down to the diesel being different in the way it produces heat. I dont know.

Once the engine gets warm it starts to produce lots of heat, way to hot to be comfortable. However, once the car is warm inside it gets better. But so much heat comes in the beginning that it almost have to push some cold through the system to put the temperature right.

Personally I dont think a ACC should produce full heat other than if I have selected max heat on the dial.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. ACC produces cold air only with temarature dial at lowest position. Already at 17 degree position it starts to produce very hot air. No matter if on automatic or manual setting and no matter if AC is on or off. I have a gasoline version so it seems no a disel problem.

Today I went to service with this problem and they replaced the ACC panel and control board, but the problem still seems to exist.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
One of the problems is that the hvac system doesn't really blow hot air in the red and cold air in the blue, but compares the outside temp to the temp you ahve selected. So if you set it to 65 and it is below 65 out, it may still decide to blow hot air to bring it "up to" 65 degrees even though 65 is the lowest temp on the dial. Also, the automatic climate control has long been the weak point of the forester, its usually best to just leave it on manual.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
2 Posts
Actually there is no way to set the air temperature ACC produces manually. You can set manually where ACC blows the air (feet, window etc), fan speed and TARGET interior temerature. So if I set temerature dial to second lowest position 17 C (62 F) and initial temperature in the car is far lower that this then ACC decides to blow very hot air (if you put your hand near air outlet then you can almost burn your hand). It seems that ACC tries to reach target temerature as quickly as possible.

I'm wondering if there is some way to reprogram the ACC? Or maybe there is some way to replace the ACC temerature sensor with some manual dial, that can override it's readings? Any other suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts