Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPT Boost Gauge new install airbag light :(
I just did this and everything works and looks good, except I have an airbag light on the dash now. ;(

The wife is ready to kill me. I put this on the left side of the steering column, everything else works fine such as blinkers lights dimmer etc.

I did forget to hook up the gauge cluster after test fitting once and it would not start, hooked it up and left the battery unplugged for 20 minutes, hooked back up and retried still get the light.

Any ideas? So far I love it, can still see the tack end sweep while seeing the boost gauge as well, had to tip it back a bit so it didn't rub on the steering wheel.

Any help on this light would be greatly appreciated! Starting a new thread on this hoping someone can help.

The only pic I have is from my cell phone, but totally bummin. We have a 2000+ mile road trip this weekend and now I am worried I am going to have to pull this and rewire to try and get rid of the light before the road trip, and then buy a new steering column cover as I drilled holes in this one to install. This was quite the install and took a long amount of time, I love the gauge and how it functions, it is fun to watch the boost hit, but no one else has ever had issues that I can find like this. I can't help if I don't have something rubbing inside the steering column that is activating the light.

Anyone want a boost gauge for a good deal? Shoot me an offer so I am not tempted to continue trying to resolve it, would be much easier on me if I could just sell and buy a replacement steering cover, as I think the wife will let her chokehold off a little more. :catfight:

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
Before you do anything check SRS harness under both front seats. It's very common for something to hit the harness plug and mess with the connection. All SRS (airbag) plugs and wires are bright yellow. Look under the seat by the rails for the harness, even if it looks OK unplug and plug it back in. Worth a shot, although it seems a little too coincidental you messed with the steering column though. You did remove the plastic before drilling right? Silly question but I have to ask...

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you do anything check SRS harness under both front seats. It's very common for something to hit the harness plug and mess with the connection. All SRS (airbag) plugs and wires are bright yellow. Look under the seat by the rails for the harness, even if it looks OK unplug and plug it back in. Worth a shot, although it seems a little too coincidental you messed with the steering column though. You did remove the plastic before drilling right? Silly question but I have to ask...
Peaty, thanks! No question is silly, yes I indeed completely removed the top cover and tried to repeatedly check multiple times before mounting that nothing would interfere inside the column. I was thinking those sensors this morning as well, as I installed the factory subwoofer a ways back and had to disconnect one when doing that, maybe moving the seat back and forth while installing could have disconnected. I will definately take a look at lunch and eliminate that possibility.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
If you were under the seat mucking about then I bet that's it, or at least I hope so since it's so simple to fix. I honestly can't see how installing the boost gauge would make you throw the light, I've done the install myself and it really does not mess with that wiring at all.

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were under the seat mucking about then I bet that's it, or at least I hope so since it's so simple to fix. I honestly can't see how installing the boost gauge would make you throw the light, I've done the install myself and it really does not mess with that wiring at all.
The wife just drove to work this morning and noticed the clock is not on, in the directions I had to connect part of the harness to the clock, hopefully I just missed a connection, which would make sense as the airbag sensor is in the clock. :rock: Of course I will have to go back in tonight and take a look, I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but I currently have h1n1 and was doing this as I was home sick anyways all weekend. Note to self, no installs while having swine flu....lol. :puke:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
354 Posts
don't sell it.. just bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. It will cost a penny or 2, but the car is brand new... you are going to get many years of enjoyment out of it.

SPT Boost Gauge new install airbag light :(
I just did this and everything works and looks good, except I have an airbag light on the dash now. ;(

The wife is ready to kill me. I put this on the left side of the steering column, everything else works fine such as blinkers lights dimmer etc.

I did forget to hook up the gauge cluster after test fitting once and it would not start, hooked it up and left the battery unplugged for 20 minutes, hooked back up and retried still get the light.

Any ideas? So far I love it, can still see the tack end sweep while seeing the boost gauge as well, had to tip it back a bit so it didn't rub on the steering wheel.

Any help on this light would be greatly appreciated! Starting a new thread on this hoping someone can help.

The only pic I have is from my cell phone, but totally bummin. We have a 2000+ mile road trip this weekend and now I am worried I am going to have to pull this and rewire to try and get rid of the light before the road trip, and then buy a new steering column cover as I drilled holes in this one to install. This was quite the install and took a long amount of time, I love the gauge and how it functions, it is fun to watch the boost hit, but no one else has ever had issues that I can find like this. I can't help if I don't have something rubbing inside the steering column that is activating the light.

Anyone want a boost gauge for a good deal? Shoot me an offer so I am not tempted to continue trying to resolve it, would be much easier on me if I could just sell and buy a replacement steering cover, as I think the wife will let her chokehold off a little more. :catfight:

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup my fail, basically the wiring harness that comes with the kit was stretched a bit to much as I wired to the column and not the dash, and it pulled loose 2 connections, reconnected and no more airbag light, and loving the gauge now!

:woohoo:

My only other thought is maybe putting some silicone on the end of the led bulb as it definately has a bright spot no matter how I turn it, and I figured the silicone might help the bright dead on light with just a dab on the front of the bulb.

Here is a couple of quick shots, the gauge functions well and I have hit 15psi, which amazes me, I didn't think our turbo's pumped out that much, it usually holds at 10 psi, but if I punch it I can hit 15 for a second.

Attachments

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't sell it.. just bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. It will cost a penny or 2, but the car is brand new... you are going to get many years of enjoyment out of it.
I love the car, was mad at the gauge thinking it could be causing wiring issues which I hate, but it was just my fail. I don't know if I could ever sell it, it is the wifes main car and I have a old ford ranger, but hopefully in 10 years or so it will be my hand me down!

Thanks regardless for the motivation, our dealer here is unfortunately just horrible, basically mean, treats people like idiots, very high prices, and the mechanics tell me they don't get paid for warranty work, therefore don't quite care as much as when they are on a paid punched in job. I have 2 $50 coupons for service after test driving 2010 models, and I think I am going to spend them on just drain and fills of the tranny and diffs, so I can watch them do it and not worry about it, I don't even let them change my oil though.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
354 Posts
Wow! I am sure that is the attitude of most mechanics (i had a similar situation with my old VW bought from a primarily Pontiac dealer) but i would venture to say that most of them don't actually SAY it out loud.

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! I am sure that is the attitude of most mechanics (i had a similar situation with my old VW bought from a primarily Pontiac dealer) but i would venture to say that most of them don't actually SAY it out loud.
Yeah, after telling me they looked at me like, I shouldn't have said that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts