Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium CVT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that our stock 2014 XT wheels are Enkei Brand 18x7 +48....
Now I'm hesitating getting some Enkei RPF1 in Gold.... Should I keep it or Buy the RFP1 18x8 +45?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
478 Posts
This is correct. Enkei does most of Subaru's and Toyota's wheels. If you look on the inside of the wheel it has the M.A.T. logo as well. Has anyone put the wheel on a scale yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
25 lbs sounds believable to me, although it's heavier than I hoped. Jomar23 - did you put them on a scale? I was interested in where that weight came from.

Coincidentally, I just called my dealer parts dept earlier today to ask that very question. They asked me for the last 8 of the VIN and told me 33.2 lbs per wheel, sans rubber. I just don't see how that's possibly correct!

I'm winter tire/wheel shopping and would really like to assemble something that isn't heavier than the stock unsprung weight, whatever that truly is!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XTP CVT
184 Posts
25 lbs sounds believable to me, although it's heavier than I hoped. Jomar23 - did you put them on a scale? I was interested in where that weight came from.

Coincidentally, I just called my dealer parts dept earlier today to ask that very question. They asked me for the last 8 of the VIN and told me 33.2 lbs per wheel, sans rubber. I just don't see how that's possibly correct!

I'm winter tire/wheel shopping and would really like to assemble something that isn't heavier than the stock unsprung weight, whatever that truly is!
i placed each one on the scale and i got 25lbs

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
25lbs isn't horrible, but RFP1 18x8 are probably under 18 -- 7lb difference per wheel is a big difference.

Tires are probably another 25lbs, that weight is without the tires.

Stan

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
284 Posts
25lbs isn't horrible, but RFP1 18x8 are probably under 18 -- 7lb difference per wheel is a big difference.

Tires are probably another 25lbs, that weight is without the tires.

Stan
Yeah I’m looking at enkei PF01s. tire rack says 17.8 lbs per I think...

What are your feelings about light wheels vs a Cobb AP / flash tune?

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
ohhhhhh, dont ask him that!!! mr miata, and vdub....like 2k lb cars....weight guy...etc etc. hahah.

joking aside, i think it would be tough to argue against the fact that a decent tune will help the car feel faster, and more nimble vs lightweight wheels. especially on a stock SJ XT. imo, the weight stuff takes precedence once decently modded, or a N/A car.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Lol, I guess I do come off as a weight weenie.

Depends, ideally it'd be nice to get a tune, and weight reduction, and handling improvements. I haven't experienced AP on the newest Forester. It would void warranty, technically, so there is that to consider. For an SG XT, I'd probably pick the lighter wheels if I were going to keep the car stock -- Stage 1 tune wasn't really worth the cost of AP with the one I had.

AP would allow you log and watch all sorts of interesting information in real-time -- pretty cool.

Stan

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
284 Posts
I do worry about warranty issues as my particular SJ will need to be reliable for a great number of years, even past it’s warrenty period. I drive a fair amount each month (1.5k or so) as required for work (traveling salesman). I have heard both that it will, and won’t void warranty if an AP / flash tune is installed.

I figure it will take the better part of a year to wear off my original rubber, at which point the wife (read “boss lady”), says I can buy upgrades. I flip flop almost daily on the priorities. Ie Cobb AP vs Lightweight wheels.

The biggest thing I would like to have improved is the launch. Getting away from a stop light is painful and while I’m not looking to do burn outs and doughnuts a bit more authority in the go pedal would be awesome. My brain tells me that if I reduce rotating mass even by a little that I would accomplish, my experience with bikes and motorcycles tells me that wheels and tires are the simplest most effective mods I can make. Then again POWER...

Through all my years and many custom bikes and motorcycles I’ve never even put aftermarket wheels on a car or anything other then stereo mods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts