Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium CVT
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that our stock 2014 XT wheels are Enkei Brand 18x7 +48....
Now I'm hesitating getting some Enkei RPF1 in Gold.... Should I keep it or Buy the RFP1 18x8 +45?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Premium CVT
83 Posts
25 lbs sounds believable to me, although it's heavier than I hoped. Jomar23 - did you put them on a scale? I was interested in where that weight came from.

Coincidentally, I just called my dealer parts dept earlier today to ask that very question. They asked me for the last 8 of the VIN and told me 33.2 lbs per wheel, sans rubber. I just don't see how that's possibly correct!

I'm winter tire/wheel shopping and would really like to assemble something that isn't heavier than the stock unsprung weight, whatever that truly is!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XTP CVT
184 Posts
25 lbs sounds believable to me, although it's heavier than I hoped. Jomar23 - did you put them on a scale? I was interested in where that weight came from.

Coincidentally, I just called my dealer parts dept earlier today to ask that very question. They asked me for the last 8 of the VIN and told me 33.2 lbs per wheel, sans rubber. I just don't see how that's possibly correct!

I'm winter tire/wheel shopping and would really like to assemble something that isn't heavier than the stock unsprung weight, whatever that truly is!
i placed each one on the scale and i got 25lbs

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
25lbs isn't horrible, but RFP1 18x8 are probably under 18 -- 7lb difference per wheel is a big difference.

Tires are probably another 25lbs, that weight is without the tires.

Stan

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
285 Posts
25lbs isn't horrible, but RFP1 18x8 are probably under 18 -- 7lb difference per wheel is a big difference.

Tires are probably another 25lbs, that weight is without the tires.

Stan
Yeah I’m looking at enkei PF01s. tire rack says 17.8 lbs per I think...

What are your feelings about light wheels vs a Cobb AP / flash tune?

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
ohhhhhh, dont ask him that!!! mr miata, and vdub....like 2k lb cars....weight guy...etc etc. hahah.

joking aside, i think it would be tough to argue against the fact that a decent tune will help the car feel faster, and more nimble vs lightweight wheels. especially on a stock SJ XT. imo, the weight stuff takes precedence once decently modded, or a N/A car.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Lol, I guess I do come off as a weight weenie.

Depends, ideally it'd be nice to get a tune, and weight reduction, and handling improvements. I haven't experienced AP on the newest Forester. It would void warranty, technically, so there is that to consider. For an SG XT, I'd probably pick the lighter wheels if I were going to keep the car stock -- Stage 1 tune wasn't really worth the cost of AP with the one I had.

AP would allow you log and watch all sorts of interesting information in real-time -- pretty cool.

Stan

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
285 Posts
I do worry about warranty issues as my particular SJ will need to be reliable for a great number of years, even past it’s warrenty period. I drive a fair amount each month (1.5k or so) as required for work (traveling salesman). I have heard both that it will, and won’t void warranty if an AP / flash tune is installed.

I figure it will take the better part of a year to wear off my original rubber, at which point the wife (read “boss lady”), says I can buy upgrades. I flip flop almost daily on the priorities. Ie Cobb AP vs Lightweight wheels.

The biggest thing I would like to have improved is the launch. Getting away from a stop light is painful and while I’m not looking to do burn outs and doughnuts a bit more authority in the go pedal would be awesome. My brain tells me that if I reduce rotating mass even by a little that I would accomplish, my experience with bikes and motorcycles tells me that wheels and tires are the simplest most effective mods I can make. Then again POWER...

Through all my years and many custom bikes and motorcycles I’ve never even put aftermarket wheels on a car or anything other then stereo mods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.