Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Forester XS. I wanted to know if the stock speaker wire is 20ga? I researched and couldn't determine if that is actually correct.

I replaced the front speakers with a component set. I am currently supplying 70W RMS to each of the speakers. I know that is fine with the stock speaker wiring, but was thinking of bumping that up to 100-120W RMS. I wasn't sure if the stock wiring will be acceptable, but I am optimistic the power loss will acceptable when using the modest factory wiring. Otherwise, I may not bother with upgrading to a more powerful amp. Before someone suggests, I WILL NOT be running new cabling through the doors.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Watts do not really have very much to do with what gauge wire to use. It is ohm load and wire distance. I believe the stock speaker wire is 20 or 22.

22 AWG: 3 feet max at 2 ohm and 6 feet max at 4 ohm
20 AWG: 5 feet max at 2 ohm and 10 feet max at 4 ohm

If you are not running 2 ohm speakers now and might be in the future keep the above in mind as well. I'm running 16 gauge with my setup which is probably overkill. My amp is in back and with crossovers the total distance to woofers and tweeters is more than 10 feet. It is probably close to 12 feet. If I move to 2 ohm speakers at some point I will be covered with 16 gauge.

Here is an interesting article on speaker wire:
Speaker Wire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts