Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 02 subby and im wondering if I will cause any major damage to it if I go mudding. It is all stock. I dont plan on modding it at all.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
Mud can be some sticky stuff. If you get stuck in it, you can definitely break things. If it's watery stuff, you can drown your car if you get deep enough that it gets sucked into the intake. It would have to be pretty deep to suck mud into the intake. The diffs have breathers that mud and water can get into also, so if you do get into some deep stuff, you should check the diffs for contamination.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but how easy is it to check the diff to make sure there clean because im a newbie

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Mudding causes damage to anything, even the built up offroad trucks. If salt is used in the area the mud will also corrode metal.

How deep is the mud you plan on going through? If its any higher than the middle of the wheels I'd skip it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know how high it is but i might skip it and just ride in my friends tahoe or try to use his jeep

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
i dont know how high it is but i might skip it and just ride in my friends tahoe or try to use his jeep
Good idea! The Forester is ok at getting around on unpaved roads and avoiding getting stuck, but not so great if you are trying to get yourself into trouble. Driving into water of undeterminable depth is just a bad idea in these cars.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
if going into iffy areas at a minimum you should add tubing to diff and/or tranny breather fittings to get above possible water level and avoid getting water/mud/gunk in diff and/or tranny.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good idea! The Forester is ok at getting around on unpaved roads and avoiding getting stuck, but not so great if you are trying to get yourself into trouble. Driving into water of undeterminable depth is just a bad idea in these cars.
To be honest... its bad for pretty much any rig to go into water/mud/swamp of undeterminable depth. Always test depth of questionable mud holes before jumping in with all 4 wheels. That is... unless you have the subie pontoon mod =P

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
To be honest... its bad for pretty much any rig to go into water/mud/swamp of undeterminable depth. Always test depth of questionable mud holes before jumping in with all 4 wheels. That is... unless you have the subie pontoon mod =P
I agree completely. I just stressed the part about these cars because people often mistake them for SUVs and think they can do all kinds of crazy off road stuff because they have all wheel drive, and are shaped like SUVs.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yeah mud has been the major cause of expensive damage on all the trail rigs in my offroad club. It tends to damage everything, and keeps getting deeper into all the areas!

I'd say avoid mudbugging unless you have a 2nd vehicle just for mudbogging. Awesomely enough theres an early 90's legacy on a domestic truck frame with about 2 feet of angle iron body lift and huge mud tires, its pretty awesome (theres also a mid 90's camaro, 50's rat rod etc).

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
216 Posts
I'd say avoid mudbugging unless you have a 2nd vehicle just for mudbogging.
I have a 2nd vehicle to drive while I'm fixing my Forester from mudboggin.

To be honest, it doesn't happen much - random pieces of plastic eventually come off the undercarriage, just stay outta the big-boy ruts and you're usually OK. Your *ahem* car is highly capable of some serious ***** if driven correctly.

And by correctly I mean like you stole it.

Standard and exceeedingly important disclaimer: ALWAYS MUD WITH A BUD.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
Why is everyone downplaying the Foz? Mudding is perfectly fine in stock form. Now, there are different kinds of mudding though. Bogging through a mud field, or splashing around in mud pits is just fine, I would just be sure to watch someone else go in first to gauge the depth to make sure it doesn't get too deep. (but that goes for ANY vehicle you take mudding). Even then, I got into the really sloppy stuff and it came halfway up my headlamps, and the Foz still got itself out, never stalled. It was a PAIN to clean, but other than that, it did absolutely great.

So some tips.....Follow someone else and watch them go through it first. Watch their speed and how much their vehicle struggles, and that'll give you an idea of what to expect with yours. Your intake is just above the headlamps, and that is DEEP. Most of the stuff you'll encounter will most likely be about half your wheel depth, maybe a tad more. Stock tires (Geolanders) will get slick quick, but they do fine for me. I've been mudding around in fields and on ATV courses and have done fine with the stockers. Start small, and work your way up from there. Make sure you have tow straps/snatch strap for rescue just in case. You will amaze yourself with how good a stock Foz is off-road and in muddy situations.....

Fozzies love mud....

As for extending the breathers, it's EASY. You have a breather for your front and rear diff. For the front, just attach some rubber hosing to the end and zip tie the other end to the top of the engine bay somewhere.....for the rear diff, same thing, just find the highest area you can zip tie the other end of the line to, make sure to keep the top curved over and pointed downwards.

Have fun.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
^ I am with this guy. I will be extending my breathers this summer and i am hoping to have some fun. I will always have a Jeep within reach if I do get into trouble but, that won't stop me.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Don't get me wrong,you can mud like hell in a Foz.

YouTube - swamp run

YouTube - Pit Revenge 1

YouTube - Forester in mud pit

YouTube - Into the mud

But some things you should know are damage can and WILL happen with regular trips to the mud holes.

I have (not in any order) hydro-locked and blown an engine,got a little to deep and flooded the cab thus destroying the ECU,got water past the seals and destroyed wheel bearings,etc.

Now I'm a little harder on the old Foz then the average owner but mud is EVIL and will be hard on them even with just a little playing in it.

Biggest thing is to wash the under carriage thoroughly after each adventure.
I actually put mine on ramps and crawl under it with the hose to clean it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4EAT
104 Posts
I miss my '87 GL 4x4 wagon- it was SLOW, but I couldn't get that thing stuck! If I picked up a little speed I could almost float through mud that friends with jeeps would get stuck in. I wish my Forester had a true 4wd with low gear option like that did!
Just out of curiosity, anyone ever take the Foz on the beach? Bad idea?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts