Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me when I ask n00b questions for a while. I recently purchased an OBP 2004 Forester 2.5 XT 5sp with about 18000 miles on it. The previous owner installed what looks to be the boost gauge off of a WRX because it goes up to .15 MPa, and the receipt he left with it says Impreza on it.

Anyway, I've really only watched it in first an second gear, but boost seems to peak at about .06 MPa, which is ~9 psi. I think I read somewhere that this car is supposed to boost 11.5 psi which would be ~.08MPa. It runs smoothly, with the exception of the fact that I haven't figured out how to get that 1-2 down perfectly with AWD, so I get a little lag there sometimes if I'm not aggressive with the gas.

Don't get me wrong, my Forester seems to be running quite well and is plenty fast, but I want to make sure I'm getting all the boost I should, and if I'm not, I want to know what I should do to get it straightened out. It's still under warranty, so if it needs to go in, I'll take it in.

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about my car here. This is my first AWD car, and all I can say is, FWD sucks, and I can't believe I haven't been driving an AWD vehicle until now.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
4th and 5th gear should hit max boost (about 12 psi or .09 mpa) and taper down at redline.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Agreed, you won't see the 11.5 psi on 1st and 2nd with the stock turbo in the lower gears. Your car is working normally. And for a smoother 1-2 shift slowing down the clutch action just a little bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Also, you're using a boost gauge that may not be the world's most accurate. You might want to check it with another gauge or a MityVac Pressure/vacuum pump to see how it measures up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts