Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
How much HP and Torque can the Stock 4EAT tranny take?

I have hitting close to 350hp and 60kg/m right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well my transmission lasted around 20K once the mods were done on mine. I would say the 4EAT is the weak link in the whole car. So far things are good but it took a complete rebuild and lot of money. Honestly if I could do it all over again I would have gone with the 5 speed but my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual.

I am pretty hard on the car and am pushing around 330 WHP. Hopefully it will last now, otherwise I will be driving a Honda Pilot to work each day and selling my Forester.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
sleeper_xt said:
Honestly if I could do it all over again I would have gone with the 5 speed but my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual.
I have the same problem as you. :lol:
Otherwise I would have swapped in a manual tranny long ago.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Cheap solution

The easiest solution is to buy a beater car for $500 w/5MT transmission.

Teach spouse how to drive using beater car.

Once spouse is "qualified", turn spouse loose with Forester.

:lol: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Cheap solution

Roo said:
The easiest solution is to buy a beater car for $500 w/5MT transmission.

Teach spouse how to drive using beater car.

Once spouse is "qualified", turn spouse loose with Forester.

:lol: :lol:
Oh, she can drive a MT, just that she refuses to do it.

Btw, beater cars in Singapore cost alot more than $500. :cry:

·
Registered
59 Posts
She has driven my Jeep Wrangler which is a 5 speed but for her the ease of driving an automatic is just too easy.

Besides if i had a 5 speed I would want it all to myself because it would be so much fun to drive.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
chu said:
Otherwise I would have swapped in a manual tranny long ago.
You speak of this as if it were simple. How complex is it to do this? Are there adverse interactions with the auto-locking center diff? I have a 2000 and the AT is driving me nuts...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Do you have a transmission cooler? That will help quite a bit in keeping the transmission alive for longer. I would also upgrade the fluid to a good quality synthetic. I am running about 120hp/tq more than stock on my 4EAT for about 1.5 years, so far so good...

Sleeper XT, If I recall correctly you didn't have a cooler on yours before the failure did you?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
zorander said:
You speak of this as if it were simple. How complex is it to do this? Are there adverse interactions with the auto-locking center diff? I have a 2000 and the AT is driving me nuts...
I believe the center diff is part of the transmission, so the center diff would be replaced with one from a manual tranmission as well...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
zorander said:
How simple or not, I am not sure. Takes about 1 day work at the workshop. Lots of Foresters have done over here. But the only thing holding me back is that my wife prefers to drive an auto on the rare occasions. :D

You will need a fair bit of parts from a manual tranny model though. 5 spd or the 6 spd tranny have been swapped before.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
AaronB said:
Do you have a transmission cooler? That will help quite a bit in keeping the transmission alive for longer. I would also upgrade the fluid to a good quality synthetic. I am running about 120hp/tq more than stock on my 4EAT for about 1.5 years, so far so good...

Sleeper XT, If I recall correctly you didn't have a cooler on yours before the failure did you?
I do have a tranny cooler and I change my fluid every 20k km. Hope it lasts longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts