Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some springs made for me which would normally be pretty straight forward. However, I was planning on swapping to non-SLS struts which presents a problem because I don't have a non-SLS spring that the manufacturer can use to take spring length and spring rate measurements from.

Therefore, if I can put 20 - 25% stiffer springs (same ride height) on SLS struts then this would make life much easier.

I know you can't lower or lift with SLS and I had thought increasing the spring rate on stock ride height would be an issue too, but I've just looked at the King Springs catalogue and they list as spring for rear SLS dampers that has the same ride height but a stiffer rate - which is what I want to do.

Bit of a long winded explanation, but can anyone confirm if putting stiffer springs with the same ride height will work with SLS struts?

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,544 Posts
Gigsy,
Looking at dhcars.co.uk under modifications->Forester->Suspension , it mentions for the Sti spring set:

"The STi Lowering Kit comprises lowered coil springs that are both firmer and lower than standard fitment. Vehicle ride height is reduced by around 20mm, thereby giving an aggressive stance. Vehicle handling is significantly improved through increased spring rate and a lower centre of gravity for the vehicle. Springs come in STi’s trademark ‘Rubine Red’ colour for instant recognition.

Please note these springs are designed for Japanese market models. We have supplied to customer with Euro self leveling models without any reported problems.
Front Spring -25mm XT Models £POA ST2033088000
Rear Spring -25mm XT Models £POA ST2038088000
Front Spring -20mm STI C/D Models £POA ST2033088020
Rear Spring -20mm STI C/D Models £POA ST2038088020"

Maybe worth giving them a call. But I don't see how the self levelling will be affected by a spring of the same height but stiffer, in fact it will probably make life easier for the system since the suspension will not compress so much as before hence the self levelling mechanism will not have to work as hard as with a softer spring.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought... wear may be higher as the strut is damping a stronger spring though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts