Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester Touring
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought.

What if Subaru's gas pedal is actually a Toyota one.

We all know that Toyota owns a little stake in Subaru.
That components of different Japanese cards are used in different makes i.e. the Toyota car alarm is used in the 09/10 Forester.

What if the mechanical parts such as a sticky gas pedal were Toyota supplied or at least from the same manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Then you'd be facing a recall plain and simple if they were the same components.
So far it is primarily a technology sharing investment only, although they are planning on building a shared sport coupe platform with a Subaru engine. The investment amounts to roughly 8-10 %. Not likely that they are sharing part suppliers, they are however building (not now) Camry's at the US Subaru plant that build's Outbacks.
CTS the company that builds the pedal assemblies for Toyota also supplies other manufacturers, but I don't think Subaru was one of the companies named.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,997 Posts
Then I go in and get it replaced.

I used to drive a Ford... a sticky gas pedal doesn't scare me.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
nonononononono people were asking us about this at work. although subaru is partially owned by toyota, we do not have any toyota parts in our car. the closest thing ive noticed is something like our cruise control set up, and power mirror controls. which are about the same as a toyota matrix. theres your useless fact of the day :lol:

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Speaking of recalls, MY dad own an 07 jeep wrangler x, stock with the over sized tires from factory. It only has 30,000 on it.

However the steering dampener is know to go bad because it cannot handle the bigger tires. When this happens when you hit a bump you get whats called "Death Wobble".

My dads jeep had this happen and it would shake and wobble so bad the only way to stop the wobble is to come to complete stop. My dad is very experienced driver and he would have no control during the death wobble. This is a problem that is more than common on Wranglers.

The only way to fix is to replace the steering dampener with aftermarket off road model. A stock replacement will fail again in 20,000-30,000 miles if that. There has never been a recall for this by Chrysler.

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
Toyota will ship the fixed pedal to the factories first, then to the dealerships, putting customers at risk. Several people have already died in related accidents. I don't see how existing customers can continue to trust a company that values the bottom line over the lives of the people who helped it become the best selling auto brand.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Hmmm Toyota components never made it to the pre 09s but I'm not sure about 09+.. someone want to look at their pedal assembly?

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,739 Posts
I'm not too concerned about the Forester's accel. pedal as they are built in Japan. CTS is a North American supplier, and it seems to only supply to N.A. car plants. The Legacy, Outback and Tribeca are more likely to be affected.

·
Registered
2009 forester x premium
23 Posts
I am not sure the supplier is the one to worry about, more likely the engineering specification is the problem. The material chosen is apparently not holding up in all the climates they are exposed to.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I'm not too concerned about the Forester's accel. pedal as they are built in Japan. CTS is a North American supplier, and it seems to only supply to N.A. car plants. The Legacy, Outback and Tribeca are more likely to be affected.
Very true. The recalled cars were all built in North America, with no Japanese assembled units affected.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
I am not worried about this problem happening on my car. I have manual transmission and regular key ignition.

Speaking of Toyota in America. I used to have 87 Toyota Turbo truck and its awesome truck. I run the boost up to 12 PSI up from 6 PSI stock just using manual boost controller with no other modification and it held up fine with my abuse.

In 94 on of my buddy bought Toyota pickup that was made in US and we immediately notice a few quality problem with it. Radiator fail at 60 K miles. Ball joint fail at 80 Miles. Yes we do abuse it off road but my 87 need none of those things until I junk it in 2004 due to frame rot.

In 95 Toyota launch Tacoma stricly for American Market and GM engineering shows quite a bit. Steering rack are failing if the truck used off road. They all have excessive frame flex due to using "C-Channel" design compared to fully boxed in older truck. This lead to a big buy back campaign a few years ago and they still have problem with early Toyota Tundra too.

Apparently Toyota US hire a lot of ex GM and Ford engineer and tried to make their product "fit US market better". I strongly believe Toyota US thinks US customer are "stupid" and they will buy any junk their build.

Will I buy another Toyota? Maybe, but not anything that they build strictly for US market. I still have desire to own a stripped turbo diesel Land Cruiser like they use for UN mission. The new Trail Edition 4Runner interest me but will wait a few years before I am willing to buy it.

Sorry for the rant. As an Early Toyota believer I lost my faith in them early 90s and they keep building Junk for us. Hope this will teach them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts